Hitial Hernia surgery

Has anybodys kid had Hitial Hernia surgery !! My daughter will be having this done in the next month or so. What was the recovery time ? Was it inpatient or outpatient.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Well my daughter had a hietel (sp) hernia, but that wasn't the reason for her surgery. She had to have a nissen fundoplication (wrapping her stomach around her esophagus). But while they were doing that, they did correct her hernia. I would think that she would be inpatient and that she would be recovery quite well.. But it depends on your child. My daughter has had 3 stomach surgeries and 1 really large incision on her leg for a biopsy and has always been inpatient, and recovered very quickly...
    But all together she had the fundo and the biopsy on her leg and she was only in the hospital for 2 days.. She recovered very quickly! I hope all goes well with your daughter! I am sure she will do great!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Wow, I've never heard of that happening in a child. My grandma has one, but they're controlling it for now by her just not eating much heavy stuff, bread, etc. My MIL has one and has had surgery twice for it. For her it was outpatient, and she was eating normal foods within a couple days. She now eats very small meals and frequent snacks to help control it. I know this really doesn't help you, but this is the only experience I have with it. GL to you & your child!
    Anonymous

• My granddaughter had surgery for a umbilical cord hernia, and two other hernia's above her belly botton. It was out-patient, and she did very well. She had the surgery on a Wed., and went back to daycare on Monday. She acted like she wasn't in any pain at all, pulling herself up, crawling around and everything like she did before. Now we say she has a "custom made belly button"...lol
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 1:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My friends son had his done. He was up and going later that day. I was tender for a while and a lil swollen but it turned out realy great!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:24 AM on Jan. 29, 2010