How would you handle this situation?

A friend of ours from our church is currently homeless so every once in awhile she spends a night with us. She has always been really extreme with our religion and is always telling us how we should live. For example, last time she was here after the Sabbath was over my husband got on the computer and started to watch his wrestling show (WWE) She told us that by watching that he was inviting demons into our home and they were torturing our son. He had some gas trapped in his tummy at the time so he was screaming and I was trying to get him to burp.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow! These are the type of people that give all Christians bad names! Pray about it. Does God want this woman to stay in YOUR home? I know we should help hurting people, but sometimes we should help them seek help elsewhere. Maybe help her get a job where she could get a place of her own to rent. She could always seek a shelter for a temporary place to stay until she has enough money to get back on her feet. God wants us to help others, but they have to help themselves, too. That is very bold of that woman to "bite the hand that feeds her" so to speak. It does sound like you are trying to be a humble person and not "stoop" to her level. I would say, ultimately, you need to seek God on this one. Let Him open the right doors.
    ChereseB

Answer by ChereseB at 6:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• my mum is on the extreme side as well- OK, no she is OFF THE DEEP END!

if you feel that you should let her stay, then by all means. do so, but that does not mean that ground rules should not be in place. also, look into shelters in your region, there are not nearly enough of them, and it's not an easy place to stay, but it gives you the CHANCE to get on your feet- if you are willing to take it.
    I feel for her position, as I spent 6 months in hiding after I left my ex husband, and was homeless with 3 kids... do what you feel is right, but you most definitely do NOT need to take her verbal assaults.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• She seems like she may have some sort of mental illness. That isnt normal "very religious" in my opinion. I would try to avoid giving her a place to stay because i couldnt refrain from saying something back to her after a few comments like that.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• She sounds more like maybe she has a mental disorder. There is a difference between being really religious and talking about demons taking over your son because of a computer. I would be supportive but understand your friend may really need some help.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would nicely tell her that "we are allowing you to stay in our house. Keep your comment to yourself please."

Answer by louise2 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• OP- I don't think she has a disorder, we believe that demons exist as well, She is just an extremist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• OP- She was completely serious!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Its not some mental disorder , religious people do think that. Demons DO travel through the internet! However I doubt that WWE match was causing your son's gas. You can just pray God heals him, I do want to tell you though that infants and children are more spiritually sensitive than we as adults are and they do see more than we do and pick up more than we do.
    The best thing to do is to ask her politely that is she wants to stay to keep those opinions to herself.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• what louise2 said
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:07 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• This sounds like my mother-in-law, the biggest hypocrite to ever walk the face of the earth. Upon seeing the Harry Potter collection of books on my shelf, she told me that because I read them, I now had demons inside me. Hmmph.

She really does have a mental condition, though.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:08 AM on Jan. 28, 2010