Speech therapy?

My daughter is almost 21 months old. She says about 25 words, but not all the time. She talks only when she wants to. She will get in a mood, and say anything you ask, but mostly she just makes noise... She understands just about everything I say. She follows directions. She loves pretend play. I am concerned that she is not talking enough... I called her doctor, and he wants to see her tomorrow, and may refer her to a speech therapist... I don't know anything about this. What does the evaluation involve? What should I expect?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 10:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He(the doctor) will check her ears to see if she is having problems with them. Might send her to get a hearing test too.

Answer by louise2 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Usually they just "play" with them and see what they say spontaneously. They may ask her to point out certain pictures in a book, or ask her what things are and see what she says. They may get her interested in a toy, and then take it away to see if she will ask for the toy back, or to have more bubbles, or whatever it was. It's usually fairly enjoyable for a child, they aren't trying to stress them out. My youngest is 14 months now. I had him evaluated by early intervention at 9-10 months and he's been receiving speech therapy since then. He has caught up to where he should be, but speech will continue until they do an updated evaluation - the extra therapy certainly isn't going to hurt him, and he loves it!

Answer by missanc at 10:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Thanks missanc. Good to know. I feel like I have failed in some way, like I am not doing enough with her... We play and learn all day though, or it seems! lol
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We went through all of this
    If she is saying words - 25 at that - she is FINE! She does NOT need speech therapy. You do NOT need to spend the money on something she will do when she is ready. If she was 4 and still not developing - then fine... but at 21 months - she is perfectly normal. It is crazy how many people want their kids to be SO advanced and grow up so fast. Let her be a baby and enjoy her while she is young.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• rutter - I am not trying to get her to grow up too fast or anything, I just want to make sure that I am doing everything in my power to see that she is learning and developing the way that she should.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My son has been in speech therapry through Early Intevention since he was 18 months old. (He'll be three in April.) The evaluations were easy (they just played with him) and his enjoys his time with his therapists. They always bring a variety of toys. He's actually ahead in some areas (knows his letter, colors, can do pattern matching, etc) as a result of working with them. You have absolutely nothing to loose by having him evaluated. Depending on your state, the services are either free or the cost is based on your income and family size.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I just took my 4yo in this week. Doc said that, at age 3, a parent should be able to understand at least 50% of what they're saying. By age 4, a stranger should be able to understand 50%.

At not-quite-2, I would suggest making her say the words. If she wants something, make her say the word before you give it to her. That will cut down on "just making noise". When reading books, point at things like BALL, that are easy to recognize and pronounce, and have her repeat the words back to you.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 12:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Your DD sounds like my DS at 21 m/o. We had him evaluated because ECI only works with children 0-36 mo. I decided I would rather have him evaluated so that THEY could tell me if he would benefit from the services. He understood me completely (when he stopped to listen), was able to point and tell me what he wanted, had great motor skills (fine & gross), but just wasn't using his "expressive language". His physical/cognitive skills were fine. So, he started speech at 21 months. He's been doing weekly sessions at our house and although it was slow at first, he's really pretty much on track to cease services at 36 m/o.(in 2 mos)

The evaluation involves them playing with your child & asking you questions. Even if she qualifies for services, it's still up to you as to whether to proceed or not. BTW, our DS's Medicaid paid for it. Now that he's adopted, we pay $20 a month. Not bad for $5/week. I'd get the info & go from there.GL
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• This is a link to a reply I posted to a question in our "Children with Speech Disorders/Delays" group. It's things that ECI helped me to put into his routine. Sometimes, you just need a place to start.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/51/forums/read/10351055/New_here_and_looking_for_advice 

PM me if you have any other questions. This subject is real close to my heart. He was 27 months old before he said "Mommy". :) I wasn't sure he'd ever say it. Now, I hear it all the time & it's music to my ears.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2010