Start of Lent (question about the Catholic Calendar)

I was always taught Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. I was under the assumption we use the Julian Calendar.

I flipped my calendar over to February yesterday to look up a date and noticed February 15 says "Julian Calendar| Lent Begins." February 17 says "Ash Wednesday |Fast and Abstinence" It does not say Holy Day of Obligation.

I looked it up a little and it seems we might use the Roman Calendar. Does anyone understand, know or want to explain the different calendars, the start of Lent and if it is different for different religions and the holy day of obligations?

I hope this isn't too much for one question. I can break it into different questions if necessary.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 11:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Julian Calendaris the Roman Calender. He was one of the Caesarsand he was the one to implement it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• so Lent does start on Monday not Wednesday. I never knew that. I think I was even told Lent starts on Ash Wednesday
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Alright looked it up again the Julian Calender is an improvement on the roman calender.  this should help http://www.webexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-christian.html For western Catholics lent starts on Ash Wednesday. For Eastern it starts on Clean Monday. If you look Further on your Calendar you'll see the Julian Calender for Epiphany is on January 19th. So you're calender is showing both rites.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It does say that. I didn't even notice in fact it says Julian Calendar Christmas on the 7th and on the 19th is says Theophany. That is really cool. I think this is great because so many of us separate the rites. This shows we are one universal church.

thanks for looking that up
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 12:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It was more of a refresher for myself. I don't like to mispeak. And you're welcome.
    Anonymous

• And Ash Wednesday isn't a Holy Day of Obligation (Roman Rite), everyone just thinks it is.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2010