16 and pregnant and teen mom....

Do you think these new MTV series shows other teens the struggles of being a teen mom and gets them to think twice about having sex so young or do you think it is promoting teen pregnancy? Do you think more teens will be okay with getting preggers so young? With the teen pregnancy rate on the rise in America I'm wondering if these shows are appropriate, or are they helping?

DaGoodLife

Asked by DaGoodLife at 11:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, I think it depends on the teens who are watching. Some might watch it and think "I don't want to struggle like that." and some teens may watch and think "Oh look at the cute babies! I want one!" I watch it with my son and use it as an oppurtunity to talk to him about how hard these girls are struggling and why it is important to wait to have sex and his dad talks to him about birth control and how a girl can get pregnant the first time she has sex. I want us to be able to talk about this stuff because my mom never talked to me about it which may be why I was also a teen mom. One of my cousins saw me and my other cousins struggle as teen moms and made a decision that would not be her. Now she is going to college in Boston. Her little sister on the other hand, has seen teen moms and single moms struggle and still got pregnant at 17. so like I said, I think it depends on who watches it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Actually the teen pregnancy rate are just recently up after a 10 yr decline.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I told my son if he knocks a girl up I was going to cut off his pecker!
    Think of how much $$ those girls get for being on "teen mom". I used to watch it, but it's gotten kinda cheesy
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would NOT call 2006 recent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I don't understand why so many people say it is "glamorizing" or promoting teen pregnancy. how? Do you see the struggle that these kids go through?? not having money, not being educated, dropping out of school, barely making ends meet, not being mature or ready to be parents, and the list goes on. What nutcase would look at that show and say "I'm so jealous! I want that life!"
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• well I'm just going off a recent article Anon :41
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 11:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I THINK THE FIRST SEASON WAS GREAT ...BUT NOW THERE DOING A SECOND SEASON WITH NEW MOMS ETC....ITS KINDA LIKE OH THEY SEEN THE FIRST SEASON AND THOUGHT IT LOOKED LIKE FUN , SO THEY GOT PREGNANT AND NOW THERE ON THE SECOND SEASON! ....I KNOW THATS NOT HOW IT HAPPENED ...BUT MTV MUST HAVE MADE ALLOT OF MONEY OFF OF IT SO THEY HAVE TO MILK IT FOR ALL ITS WORTH, AND DO S SECOND SEASON ! ITS KINDA LIKE THERE GLORIFYING IT !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Another thing, Maci, Ryan, Catelynn, Tyler, Gary and Farrah (everyone except Amber and she is on govt. housing) ALL live with their parents! I remember watching the "After the Show" part after the finale and Maci said something about her and Ryan having stability. I am not sure what she meant, but I hardly see 18 yr olds, with no jobs or part time jobs, still living with their parents, and their parents' supporting them and buying their baby's things as "stability". She could have meant home life stability of her parents, idk.
    This is not desirable or glamorous.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I know babycakes, I'm not saying that it glamorizes it. I really don't think it does, but still there will be some young girl out there that thinks it's cute to have a baby so young and not understand the struggle. It is a major concern for me b/c i have 2 girls and they are babies right now but when they get older this is an issue that they are going to have to avoid and I just hope I'm a good enough mother and say the right things so they will understand that it isn't cute.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 11:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• But I can see how it may seem as though they are getting "rewarded" because they not only get television time, but compensation for every episode. So yea, I can see in THAT aspect on how it may be appealing to a young teenager.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2010