Taking birth control and a Christian

So I made a post in a group and I said that I was a christian AND taking brith control. Now I've had like half a dozen people on there tell me that I can't be christian and not letting god plan my family. I know that there are some religions that prohibit birth control as part of their beliefs, but mine does not. Does anybody agree with me that I can be both a christian and take the pill??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can do what you want. What I have noticed when I let others tell me what to do I lose my faith. It was only by learning and understanding what my heart wanted did I start to understand why the Catholic Church teaches and says certain things
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• what you believe, and what you choose are two things. If I was told that I could not be an Atheist because I was raised in a christian home, I would simply laugh. No one else is in your head, only you know what you believe, and that is that. if it is not the denominational belief of your religion, why worry?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Ugh. This is a perfect example for what I just said in the "paying attention" question. If a Christian feels convicted about taking BC, if they feel that God doesn't want them to take it - FINE! But that doesn't mean the same conviction applies to every other Christian.

My belief is that God gave you a brain, and if you feel you aren't ready/don't want children, by all means, prevent it.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Yes you can.Its much better than having children you areunable to give a good life because you can't afford them.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I agree with obbydobbie too many people like to think they are right about everything. I'm a jw and get told all the time what I believe and then when I kindly explain tell me I'm not right cos they read it on Internet. What u believe or not believe is entirely up to u. There is nothing in the bible wot prevents people from using birthcontrol it is up to your conscience.(the only exception for me would be the coil which gets rid of a fertilized egg)
    kalada

Answer by kalada at 12:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• of course you can do/be both! no where in the Bible does it say you cant plan out your family. what it says is you cant expect God to follow your plans haha. maybe you need to find a new group, or tell those ladies that its your conviction to use the pill.

trust me, you can be on the pill & conceive...if God really wants you to have a child, you will.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• If you are anti-abortion, you should not take the pill; birth control pills allow conception and prevent implantation.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I am sorry bu the pill does not abort a fertilizeg egg the pill stops the the hormones from allowing the egg to be released
    kalada

Answer by kalada at 12:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• This is something you need to decide for yourself.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• To be fair you were not told you could not be a Christian AND take the pill - it's just that some of us believe that taking a pill is telling GOD "No thanks" just like getting IVF is like telling GOD "I got this one, I don't need you"..... As a Catholic I do not believe in Manmade contraception such as the Pill, condom etc. as well as having someone else create a child for you that is not part of a natural process. I practice Natural Family Planning to help prevent pregnancy. You can do whatever you feel is right for you and yours and I will do the same.
    Anonymous