what is the best method??

what would be the better or best method of birth control for breastfeeding mothers? ( is there anything non-hormonal, something that wont effect the baby?) any sudgestions will be helpful???

ncollins885

Asked by ncollins885 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Abstinence
    Anonymous

• Well, exclusive, through the night breastfeeding is it's own birth control for the first 6 months. You can also use the mini-pill and non hormonal IUD. You just don't want anything with estrogen because that will effect your milk supply.

You can also pick up the book "taking charge of your fertility" and learn what signs to look for when your fertility is going to start again. After that, you can chart cycles.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• iud
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I actually used the mini pill and it dried up my milk supply. So be weary. I couldn't get it back. We actually went to using just condoms and haven't had a problem since, but no longer nurse.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• the copper IUD has no hormones
    Anonymous

• Be aware that there is a failure rate for breastfeeding only as birth control. (It's why I have a LARGE extended family.)

If you're good with taking pills, the minipill.

The IUD is another good route.

Nothing with estrogen.

Charting and condoms worked here.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Natural family planning works for many moms.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We used condoms. I had an iud and hated it. I also got pregnant at 7 weeks out. We were cosleeping and nursing through the night, so definitely don't count bf as your birth control. It can help most people, but you could be the one in a hundred...
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We exclusively used BF for the first year and the pull out method. So far so good. Perhaps not the most reliable for everyone though.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 10:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010