Why do they put Braille dots on the keypad of a drive-up ATM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They are required to because of the American Disabilities Act. All public ATMs are required to have braille... I've walked through a drive through ATM, I guess they could too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• well you can actually walk up to the drive thru ATMs and use them. I'd think the company that makes them includes braille on all their machines.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Yeah,but they can't see the screen! Do they have a sound function for them?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Duh, maybe the passenger needs to use the ATM. Ignorance surrounding disabilities is one of the worst kind!
    Anonymous

• yes there is sound and braille on all ...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• So why would the driver need braille? Or are you saying the other person would be there to read the screen for them? Chill out,I'm not ignorant of disabilities,I have a disabled son!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I think it's a legitimate question. I never thought about it. However, for people like my BIL who is legally blind but he can still drive a car I'm sure it's helpful. The pad is small and I'm sure he couldn't read it so the braille would help. However, I agree how would they know when to push other buttons like "do you need more time?" or "do you want to make another transaction?" Very good question. I'm going to have to call the bank and ask them!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My DH makes ATMs ... as another poster pointed out, it is a requirement of the Americans with Disabilites Act (ADA) that ALL ATM's have braille, as well as a headset jack.

I should also mention that a drive up ATM is the exact same ATM found in a lot of bank lobbies, etc. - it's just installed differently.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• So people that have diffuctly seeing small numbers can't use the ATM?
    cutebaby06

Answer by cutebaby06 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Unless they are Helen Keller they can still hear. I have watched a blind person use an ATM before and it's interesting. He pulled out a pair of headphones and felt around for the jack and plugged it into the ATM, swiped his card, entered his pin, touched the screen, withdrew cash, counted it, put it in his pocket, completed his transaction, took his receipt and headphones, then him and his dog went on their merry way. I've seen people drive up to the ATM on a 10-speed as well as walk up, so you don't always have to drive up.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2010