Fore the moms out there that "wear" their baby...

I am a larger woman (5'4 200 lbs) and I am thinking of getting a sling/wrap.
Would it work for me and/or would it look totally rediculous?
Whats the best kind?
How long did it take for you to get used to it?
If you have enormous breasts can you breast feed while they r in the sling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a WRAP! I was introduced to one when my youngest was 5 weeks - it was at a trade fair and she was being fussy - the lady came over said I guarantee you won't take her off all day. I was the biggest skeptic. but I didn't take her off (except to change a diaper), just scooted her down a bit to feed. she was SOOOO happy! so was I! lol

no one could tell I was feeding her at all, its a wide piece of fabric you can just pull and tuck to cover yourself. handy for when she was sleeping too - pull it to shade. and for winter throw the jacket on overtop of you and baby - you're both snug and warm.

check www.mamatoto.org for some great tips on babywearing.
    its a bit fiddly and tricky at first but once you get used to it, its a breeze. Mine is a Hoppediz - double woven cotton with no stretch. I prefer the no stretch because you don't have to keep adjusting it over the day.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I used a baby bjorn until he weighed too much at about 9 months. It was pretty comfortable and he really liked it. I highly recommend it.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I am overwieght (and large chested) and it took me 2 kids and 3 years of nursing to figure out how to nurse in a sling, but it is do-able. I will admit that I didn't try with my first and didn't practice much with my second.
    I love my pocket sling... I made it myself, so it is fit for me.
    I also love my wrap and my mei tai... yes I have a baby carrier addiction. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I LOVE my sleepy wrap. They are one size fits all and oh so comfy! I didnt have a problem breastfeeding with him in it either.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I'm 5'4" and weigh 155, and my breasts are large (bra size 36 H) and I can't nurse with the baby in a sling or wrap. My boobs just squish her too much. I deffinitely recommend a wrap and not a sling. I bought a $50 sling with baby number 2 and it ended up in the trash. My baby couldn't fit in it with my big boobs. Baby number 3 does fit in a wrap. I bought mine on thekyliewrap.com. It is homemade by a mommy here on cafemom.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I had a ring sling a friend made, which worked really well for us when the kids were infants. It was about a thousand times better that the crappy Infantino one we had registered for. As dd got older, I eventually bought an Ergo from myfavoritebabycarrier.com that I absolutely LOVED, and my only regret with it is that I didn't buy it sooner. I am 5'5", about 140#, and I'm a 36D, but I could never get positioned right to nurse in eitheer the sling or the Ergo. I think with a short torso it is just harder. I know lots of moms who do it, but unless I was sitting down with the sling only acting as a cover, it didn't work for me.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Of course it will work for you and you will look like you are being a great mom!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2010