What should you bring Or pack to the hospital when in labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Extra pillows for you and whoever else is going with you. Hospital never provides enough. Socks and perhaps an extra blanket. I was so hott during labor I had them turn the thermostat all the way down I froze everyone out! Going home outfit for baby and an outfit for you. Your toilitries if you don't want to use theirs. Babybook for footprints, etc. Other than that the hospital usually provides all the baby stuff.. And You'll be in a hospital gown the whole time so...
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 12:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I was able to put on my own clothes after I had the baby so I had a couple pairs of sweat pants and pajamas . I also brought one of my own pretty recieving blankets bc the ones the hospital provides are ugly and we were taking a ton of pictures . Also I kept a note book next to my bed to keep track of who came to visit and who brought gifts so I could send thank you cards . Also a side note take as much as you can from the hospital even the tissues . LOL Anything that isnt tied down . And the nose sucker they give you will be the best one you will ever find , so hide it and tell them you cant find so you can get another one . LOL And if you plan on breast feeding bring you boppy . You will want it !!!!!
    Anonymous

• A CD player to play music you like (it will relax you).

Extra pajamas, a robe, slippers, a picture of a baby (for visualizing what a joy this pain will bring). Think positive about the labor pains. It means you will be closer to having the baby and being able to hold him/her in your arms. That the pain is all worth it when the baby is there.

A journal to log the first hours of your life with the new baby (alone and with Daddy, others). You can also have visitors sign the "guest list".

A camera, video camera.

Baby clothes for the baby. Clean street clothes for you. A hairbrush, anything else you think you will need.

Good luck to you all.
    Anonymous

• As a PP mentioned, leave some extra room in your bag to bring home everything the hospital will give you - packs of Pampers, wipes, thermometers, baby bottles, pumping supplies (if you pump at the hospital), possibly pads for you (if you like the kind the hospital uses), a sitz bath, etc. Each time I ended up with tons of stuff!

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• i brought an extra reusable grocery bag for the things the hospital gave us. they actually gave us an entire diaper bag full of stuff too.

make sure you bring toiletries. i forgot to bring shampoo and contitioner, and the hospital i was at did not provide them.

bring extra hats, socks, and mittens for the baby. (the hospital had run out of hats, but i had my own)

a robe, makes things so much easier.

and clothes for dh/so if he will be staying w you. we forgot that last time too, not good lol.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• larger panties to hold your very large pads!!
    also, i suggest socks or slippers that you throw away before you leave. the hospital is very germy!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• As far as "taking" things from the hospital - technically YOU are paying for everything (or your insurance co) and they do not re-use ANYTHING!! Pacifiers, diapers, any ointment left in the bassinet - even if it is unopened - the nose sucker thing, tissues, even the ugly pink basins they give you. Those are GREAT at home for rinsing out baby's clothes if they get messy.

Now about your question....with my first we brought the extra pillow, the cd player, and everything else everyone recommended. The cd player was irritating, they had plenty of pillows, and everything we brought was just in the way. Stick to the basics: toiletries if you don't want the hospital's (at mine they had shampoo, deodorant, lotion, toothbrush/paste, EVERYTHING), makeup if you are self-conscious about people seeing you without it, definitely a notebook/journal, an outfit for baby to go home in and one for you that fits.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• And don't forget the camera, video camer, and extra tapes and batteries!!!!!!! With my 2nd one, I brought a personal cd player, but I knew I was going to be in the hospital for 3 days and it was winter, so I knew we wouldn't have too many visitors. I also brought a book and magazine :) But with our first I never had time for that stuff - people were there all the time and when they weren't, I was just holding my new son!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• just a side not the only thing I got from the hospital was a few diapers and termometer that was crappy. We we're supplied with anything else and someone was there to make sure we gave them back any outfit or blankets the baby had used while we were there.
    chris07ss

Answer by chris07ss at 12:28 AM on May. 19, 2010