Have you walked today?

I am going to start asking this question every day. I need to walk for fitness. I am extremely overweight and I have chronic illness. If you would like to join me, please do! I don't want to start a group.
I am going to start by walking up and down my stairs twice and up and down my hall thirty times. I am going for 15 minutes or more. (I am brand new to exercise, NEVER did exercise even in school or as a child as my body always hurt. After much research I realized, I have to exercise despite the pain. )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• walked the kids to school. brrrrr......

YAY FOR YOU!!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I started walking last Monday. I have a conscious named Heather that walks with me 3 times a week, and when we don't get to we check on each other
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I will start today with you. I have a bad ankle. No excuse though, I know. I will walk around the block today.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I wait until it's warmer so I walk in the afternoons. I started walking for my health a couple of years ago. Once you start some sort of movement (I sat all day) it's easier to do other things. I hate exercising but started watching exercise videos. I could only do the stretches but that was something for me. Then I started weight training (you can use a bottle of water or a can of soup as the weight) I found this simple exercise can help build muscle mass which in turn burns fat. So help your body help you burn the fat by building them up. Also, eat several small meals a day especially breakfast to jump start your metabolism. Make a food log of what you eat each day so you can make adjustments over time that are more efficient to losing weight. Also try resistance bands. I lost 50 lbs without major exercises or sweat. Just small changes over time. Congrats for getting out there. I'll think of you when I go walking later

Answer by admckenzie at 12:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• p.s. on days it's too cold to walk I use a recumbent bike. It's much easier to use than a regular bike or the stationary bikes that make you hunch over in an unnatural position. These are like sitting in a chair and pedaling.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Wow..Good for YOU~! and (((HUGS)))...I love that you're going to post this daily..I rarely go to my groups anymore, I just come here (Q & A) when I'm on CM and check my emails...I walk 3-5 miles, 3-4 times a week NORMALLY...but I've been slacking...so this post will he really helpful THANKS :)

...and no, haven't yet walked today but I will after my errands ;)

GOOD LUCK with your new goal~!
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 12:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• OP Here: I did it! I hurt, but I would have hurt while sitting too. I would rather hurt and be skinny then hurt and be fat....at least the pain might go down somewhat. :)
    Anonymous

• Congrats~! :D
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 12:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• YEA! For you OP and all of the moms. I am working to lose weight too. I just signed up with sparkpeople.com it helps track your fitness goals. I am excited to see this post every morning! I have not walked yet, but I shoveled the walk, we got 3inches of snow last night. UGH! I was not going to walk outside today, but you have inspired me to use my XL Glider! L♥ve you Girl! With any luck we will be skinny before too long!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Haven't walked today but I am stuck to the toilet. But hey I like the way you think. I really wanted to it is gorgeous today.

you rock                                    way to go

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010