Eating Meat

When my son eats chicken or hamburger stuff, he stores the meat in his cheeks? Is this a normal behavior? He doesn't always do this, but occassionally. (12 months)

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL he's storing it for the winter. Maybe try smaller pieces for him to eat, sometimes their jaws are really small and they have a hard time swallowing. Also he could just be pouching it for the sensation of pouching and the flavor. Either way it's not a worry
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Yes, especially if the meat is very juicy. My kids did it as well. It is normal. Just make sure he does not store TOO much in his mouth and choke on it. Keep an eye on him when eating meat especially. DO NOT give him hot dogs as they are a choking hazard for a 1 year old.
    Anonymous

• My youngest does this with steak, I cut it up teeny tiny. I assume that she hasn't quite developed the muscles to chew it. She was late to have any interest in table food.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I had a son that did that too. He didn't like the texture.
    Anonymous

• my oldest and youngest (did and do it)

drives me up the walll - they just chew and chew and refuse to swallow. my oldest outgrew it so fingers are crossed for the youngest.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My daughter only eats chicken and she sucks the juice out of it and then spits it back out. I've had to find other ways to get protein in her.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2010