We are exhuasted, suggestions please!

My 4.5 year old is waking up twice a night and doesn't nap. She is very cranky when she gets home from school. I am sure that it is stress. DH depolyed several months ago, we moved In Dec. (just down the street) and then we went for a week to visit family at Christmas. She seemed to handle it well, we talked and I prepared her for all of it. For the last 3 weeks she has been waking up twice in the middle of the night. She goes back to sleep with a kiss and a hug very quickly. We are exhuasted, suggestions please.

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 12:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What happens if you don't go to her in the middle of the night? Does she cry? Leave her room? Come to your room? Could you possibly give her an alternative to you kiss and hug for back to bed in the night? Like, "if you wake up, you can get a drink of water (have a cup with a bit of water on a bedside table), then hold your teddy bear, say this prayer [give her one to say, including something about mom and dad if she's used to seeing you then], and then close your eyes..." See if that works. You can offer a reward... maybe a new charm for a charm bracelet (they have them in the dollar aisle at Target right now which is why I suggest that...) for a night where she does not wake you?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Wish I could help you. My 2.5 year-old has been doing this since our Christmas trip, too, only it's at bedtime, too, and a quick kiss and a hug do NOT help her to get back to sleep. She used to go to bed without a word and sleep through the night.
    Anonymous

• Well, first, why is she waking? Could she be having to go to the bathroom or something? How is her diet? I know this sounds weird...try feeding her a potato at night. Potatoes are carbs that raise seratonin and help us relax. :) Read "Potatoes not Prozac".
    Anonymous

• How many hours of sleep does she get? She should go to bed around 8:30pm at that age and get up at 6:30 or so every day. It worked for my kids. They did not nap, but going to bed at the same time EVERYDAY really did help. That is what our ped suggested. It did work. Also, make sure she does not drink anything before bed time. Reading a story is great for relaxing the child as well before bedtime. Be sure to keep the same schedule on weekends as it does help.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• We have the same schedule every night. 5-5:30 well balanced dinner, 6 desert (pezetel, granola bar . . ), 6:30 clean up the toys, brush teeth, change into pjs and pee. Read a story with little sister. Then in her room pray, daddy talk time, lay in bed for a song and back scratch. Lights out to soft instrumental bedtime music. For the 2 of them it takes 30 min. So she is in bed by 7, she has to get up for school by 5:50 am. She refuses to nap during the week. On the weekends she has to nap, or I think I will lose it. She is so impossibly cranky from wake up. Which on the weekends she wakes up at 7-7:30 am.

Keep the suggestions coming ladies, I have already called the school counselor to see what she can do.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I tried not going in there and she woke up more and wailed. She will sit there and cry waiting for me. I had told her I wasn't coming in. After awhile she came and found me, saying she was hot. I told her kick off the covers and go back to sleep. She woke 4 more times that night, didn't come get me but woke up and cryed. Once she didn't go to the bathroom.
    If I knew what was causing this I would talk to her, but unless I ask the right question she can't tell me what is wrong.

Keep the suggestions coming, I will try anything once.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2010