Help my 10 week old puppy bites too much!!!!

I recently got a puppy for my 1 1/2 yr old but the puppy plays really tough she bites really hard we don't know how to make her stop. My husband is planning on giving her away if she doesn't stop does anybody have any tips they can give me please I would greatly appreciate it I really love my puppy so please help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pets

• This is very normal puppy behavior. You need to get things that the pup can chew on(stay away from rawhide). Kongs, soup marrow bones and Nylabones are a good start. You need to start now with training teach the pup where it stands in the pack. When the pup puts it's mouth on you say "ouch" and be consistant do it even those few occasions when it does not hurt. If the pup is grabbing your sons clothes i would spray bittter apple on the clothes wehn you know they pup is most likely to do this. Do not yell because that tends to excite puppies. If you have a crate you can use it as a time out to get the pup to settle down. But if you do that do not punish the dog or yell at it because you want the crate to be a positive thing. Just put the pup in like you normally would give it 5 minutes and then let the pup back out.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Get your puppy a size appropriate bone to chew on. Something he will like the taste of. Also lots of exercise outside. Puppies should play at least 2 hours/day to burn off access energy. Don't give up on him, he's a puppy and they all like to chew. Puppy proof your house, just as you would for a baby.. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Puppies are just like babies that are teething. There gums hurt too so they want to chew or bite things.. You can get chew toys for the puppy, have a kennel inside you home and when she is getting too rough place her in there. They also have a bitter apple spray you can spray on your clothes etc that you don't want the puppy to bite. This is a phase. It will pass but you have to address each issue that comes up so the puppy will have manners as it gets bigger. You can also keep a leash on the puppy and not let it have free range of everything. If she gets to rough again, pull her away and put her up..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• First of it's a puppy, . If you really love this pup then you have to put the time in with it. First of all, puppies need to chew, give them tons of chew toys all the time. Also you NEVER leave a toddler alone with apuppy. It's just not smart. Puppies play rough, that's what they do. Also find a good puppy class and take the pup there, you also need to teach your child appropriate behavior with a dog. No child should be allowed to pull tails, sit on, hit, lay on the dog or pull it's ears. One good methode is that that when YOU are playing with the puppy and the puppy bites you let out a VERY loud "Ouch" it startles the pup. Also you grab their top muzzle and squeeze gently and yell OUCH. There are lot of different training methods
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Teach her to bite her chew toys. Say NO when she tries to bite you. A spray bottle filled with water(spray in the face) will also help to deter that habit. She will eventually learn not to bite. A puppy is like a small child, learning what to do and not do.
    Anonymous