does anyone work from home doing medical coding?

JCaviness

Asked by JCaviness at 12:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, but I did go to school for it. Graduated at the top of my class with 13000 in loans. Now, come to find out they only taught me how to code for a doctor's office. They flooded the market with coders and now there is no jobs. They also don't tell you that you have to have three years experience before you can code from home. :(
    Anonymous

• Same thing happened to me with medical transcription...I completed my course with an A average, and I applied literally everywhere...this was almost 3 yrs ago...and I still have not landed a job from home...what a waste of money!!! But I have started working from home and making great money doing something completely different!!!

www.scentsy.com/my2scents

Hope this helps with your decision.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 4:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I don't do coding but am a transcriptionist from home. I'd say if you are thinking about going into coding do LOTS of research and find a great school that helps with job placement afterwards. I haven't even finished my transcription schooling but have been working from home for about 8 months now and am making the income I need to make. However, I don't need to make a TON a month as my hubby is the breadwinner. And I did LOTS of research into med trans (nearly a year) and made sure all my questions were answered and bases were covered before taking the plunge. GL if you decide to go for coding. I have seen plenty of ads with coders needed in the professional association magazines I receive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2010