Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

automatic cs payments

I mentioned to SSs mom that I have the paperwork to go through and change the case to the county (it is state right now) and have the CS taken from each pay check (she is supposed to get 125 from each check and instead he just gives her 250 sometime during the first week of the month---not necessarily on the first). She texted me and said this wasn't necessary and it would cost more money to have it taken out of his check and make it look like he hasn't been paying. Is this true? Do they charge a fee to have it taken from the payroll and how would it make it look like he hasn't been paying if he is the one that requests it taken out of his check? This is simply to eliminate the need to see her to give her money and so she doesn't loose the checks or hold on to them for over a month before she decides to deposit it.(we have switched to money orders since the summer) and so she gets her money on time every time.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (14)
  • As long as you have the cancelled checks, you have proof that he has been paying. The NC Child Support Enforcement charges me, I think it's like $35/year to have the money taken directly out of his paycheck. (of course, that's back when he wasn't working under the table)

    Answer by missanc at 1:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • Ohio charges a processing fee. Your employer is also allowed to charge fee (up to a certain amount) if they choose to. I think it depends on what state you live in.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • Do what's easier for you, as long as she gets her money it shouldn't matter how or where it comes from.. If it's automatically sent to her from his paycheck, then there's a record of it.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • we only have the canceled checks for the last two years since we joined bank accounts and I have kept a record. he has always paid but never kept records. So you get charged, not the person paying support? or is it because you requested it? I guess I could call the local agency and find out. We had issues with her holding onto the check for over a month or losing checks and it would just be easier for us (DH and me) if we didn't have to deal with giving her the money at all. I would think it would be easier for her, too, to just have it put in her account.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • In Ohio, canceled checks are NOT proof that a child support obligation has been paid. (My DH lost about $5k because he was paying his ex directly before the state took over. She had to sign a paper saying that the canceled checks were for CS, she said they were a gift because she is a psycho and wanted to get more money than she should.) If CS goes through the state (which is required in Ohio unless you get a variance), they assess a 1.5% fee on the money. IMO, the absolute best thing to do is go through the state, it will protect your DH. (And you don't have to deal with the ex, a bonus.)

    Answer by Scuba at 1:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • I make my ex pay through the court so they can keep records. Call the courthouse and talk to the child support clerk and ask them. They are very helpful. State payments go through the county clerk office

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • My dd just said she gets charged $25 a year in KY for cs enforcement to receive her cs

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • There is a fee, but it's small. I'd sign up for automatic withdrawal. It would NOT make it look like he hasn't been paying. It will be recorded from here on out on every payroll check he receives: "125 deducted for child support" will be clearly stated on his paystub.


    Answer by elleinad at 1:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • OP here: Just called the county agency to ask if they charge and they said there is not charge, but the employer can charge up to 1.50 per check for processing. A whole $3 a month extra seems totally worth it. She also said that it would not make it look like DH has not been paying or look bad for him. She actually laughed when I told her that the ex told me this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • I know nothing about child support but it doens't sound like paying is the issue, how and when she cashes the check. I do a lot of online banking. I was able to set it up to pay my mother directly into her account. So my idea was to set up an account in her name with a debit card. And give it to her, then hubby can transfer the money via his human resource directly into the account and she has a convient way to spend the money. Plus you two have proof of the payments via the account history

    Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.