parents of adhd kids...

my son is on vyvnace, he doesn't sleep. I don't hink its the meds b/c its a reoccuring issue, but it is BAD right now. Dr. thinks it might be the meds. But he can NOT go to school unmedicated.
Anyone have experience with this? What did you do? What meds didnt cause a sleeping problem?
(If left to his own devices he wont crash unil at least 2 am, and when put to bed once he falls asleep he wakes up several times in the night)
I am sleep deprived. I want to do whats best for him, but I am stuck not knowing what that is.
THANKS

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter is also on Vyvanse. She had a really hard time sleeping when we increased her dose. She started taking her pill earlier, and that helped.
    Anonymous

• My son had the same issues with sleeping also. We tried melatonin, chlondine, and both were useless. I was luck if I got him to sleep at all. I would wake at even given time and he would still be awake or dressed for school at 3am... Once we got him off the extended release meds and put him on short acting meds was when we were able to get him asleep by 10. He also gained 12 pounds. So now he is on a short acting med 10 mg at 7 and 11 for school days only. We could give it to him at 3 to help with home work etc.. but the 11 dose is working pretty good. We also don't have meltdowns like we did.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• midnightmoma - what med? He gets a does at 7 am and one at 11 am?
    Thanks
    This 3 am watching tom & jerry and looking for snacks crap has to stop
    lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• After alot of going nowhere with his ped, I finally got my son into seeing a developmental ped. He switch my son the plan old Ritalin. Yes, that is correct. He gets one pill at 7 before school and one at 11. It has really helped alot. Like I said we no longer have sleep issues like we did. He is hungry so he eats all meals of the day plus snack, gained 12 pounds, and we not longer have the meltdowns or have to deal with the rebounds. You can also get generic brand and save a ton of money. The extended released meds are so expensive and carry many common side effects..

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• sorry to drill you- I made an appointment for tomorrow - what time does the 11 dose wear off?
    Thanks for the great info, I'm glad to know Im not the on ly one :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It wears off usually by 3 or 3:30.. Depending on what time your son goes to school you might be able to give it 30 minutes before needed and then just give the 2nd dose 4 hours later.

No problem LOL... I give it to him at 7 so it is in his system a few minutes before class starts at 7:45, and the 11 dose is in his system before the first on is gone...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My DS has been on Vyvanse for a year now. He had sleep issues before it and they got much worse with it! He now takes Clonidine .1 mg to help him sleep. This week he has been up til 2 every night this week, and 4 one night. Maybe it's the moon! Lol. But in our experience, yes, Vyvanse prevents sleep.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• he recently started the clonodine too, which helps him fall asleep, but not stay asleep

Thanks all for the input every bit I can get is helpful!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• With my ds the clonidine keeps him asleep most nights. We were using melatonin and he would wake up at least 3 nights a week! Perhaps you could go up a little on the MG on the clonodine. We are always working on the sleeping, it's been his whole life!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 AM on Jan. 29, 2010