when does a baby sleep through the night and how do you stay calm

loveaubrey

Asked by loveaubrey at 1:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine slept well through the night around six months. I would get up to change their diaper. They would sleep through the change usually.

First, give the baby a warm bath before bedtime. It does relax him/her. Make sure he is fed, warm, and should sleep well. Babies usually cry when they wet, or hungry or cold, too hot, etc. Good luck, it will get better.
    Anonymous

• every baby is different, but i had both my kids sleeping from 8-8 through the night starting at 6 months via the CIO method. DS is almost 3 and DD is 18 months
    Anonymous

• There is no set age for when a baby sleeps thru the night, it depends on the baby. With my 1st he was 8wks old when he slept thru the night. I remember that night well, as I woke up at 4am and realized he did not wake up at all that night. I was alarmed and went to his room and had to touch him to make sure he was still breathing. I remember letting out a sigh of relief. We had a great niece (age 7mo) die 3 wks before my son was born. My 2nd child did not sleep thru the night till he was about 10 mo, and my 3rd was about 4mo. Although even when they were sleeping thru the night there would still be a few nights where they would wake up.
    Anonymous

• Mine is a year and still doesn't sleep through the night consistently. Every time he does I wake up and run to his crib to check to see if he's still breathing. Good Luck.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• they will start sleeping through the night when you start baby food thats why they all say 6 months because they most likely started baby food at that age some do sleep through the night before that but it's kinda rare i started my ds on baby food at 2/1/2 months and he has slept through the night since sometimes wakes once a night around 1 takes a bottle goes back to sleep 20 minutes later but normally he will sleep through the night
    Anonymous

• It depends. My first did at 6 weeks. My second started sleeping through the night at around 2 months. I went that two months getting 2 hours of sleep or less every night. She has an allergy to milk based formula. It took so long to get her in to a specialist and I was a wreck until we got that solved. We go through cycles with her now though. She wakes up sometimes, sometimes sleeps the whole night. They started doing really well when we instituted a firm bedtime, no matter where we are or who is visiting us. They go to bed at the same time every night and get up with DH and I when he gets ready for work.

I know how hard it is to keep your sanity when you get little to no sleep. There is no magic answer because all babies are different. You just have to find what works for your situation. Hang in there. Eventually they do start sleeping through the night.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• 5 hours is "through the night", according to the books. My youngest didn't sleep a true through the night (8 hours) til he was like 2 1/2. Don't know what you mean by "how do you stay calm" though, and don't know how old your baby is. Sounds like you would really benefit from some help though. Ask a friend or parent or sibling or someone trusted to stay with you or come over so you can get a nap in or something.
    Anonymous

• My kids all 4 slept through the night around 2 months (i consider through the night as "my night" - at least 8 hours). By 4-5 months they were sleeping 11-12 hours.

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Mine started sleeping through the night by 3 months, but by "sleeping though the night" I mean like 5 hours straight. She didn't start sleeping 12 hours until around 6 months I think. Wow, I don't remember. However, my niece is 2 1/2 and JUST started sleeping through the night, so it really varies from child to child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Part one: When they do it. Could be tmorrow, could be next year.

Part two: By remembering that nothing worth having is easy. This WILL pass. Survival techniques for now...if you don't need something to live, you don't need it right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010