Fostering Dogs With Babies in the House

Is it dangerous or unhealthy to be fostering a LOT of rescued dogs with young children and babies in the house? How could one address this with the parents without causing a rift?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I was the foster coordinator at our humane society. The humane society will only give you a certain amount so there really couldn't be a LOT. They have to be all in the same cycle of sickness to be together,or none of them can be contagious. Most dogs that go out on foster have "kennel cough" some just need to fatten up or heal from an injury. Injured dogs or dogs in pain cannot be placed in homes with children.

Dogs were screened thoroughly before they got to me. Physical/touch tests, prey tests, food tests. In other words, dogs that go out on foster have to be worth the efforts. If they wont be able to be placed for adoption later then the space isn't wasted.

Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I think it depends on the background of the dogs. IF there was abuse, then NO. I would not want a dog with a history of abuse in a home with small children. Much less many dogs with history of abuse.
    That's just my honest opinion.
    Anonymous

• I foster for a rescue group and have two young kids. I have never had an issue. I only have one dog at a time (plus my personal four) or a litter of kittens (no more than four)(plus my two personal cats). we have never had an issue with health of anyone involved. The pets are all vetted before they come to our house (for my pet's health, my kids health, and the foster's health). I do not allow the animal to be unsuppervised around the kids for the first few days. But to be honest with all the animals I have had we have not had a single behavior issue-and all are rescues from the city shelter. Most sleep with us at night and some have even slept with my kids at night. Why do you feel their is a "health risk" with fostering pets? PM me if you have any specific questions that I might be able to help with.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2010