I like vegetables more than fruit, help

I will sit and eat raw vegetables more than I will raw fruit but I'm trying to find a balance in eating both. Any suggestions?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 1:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Health

• I think you're fine - as long as you are eating a variety of veggies I don't think you necessarily have to eat a lot of fruit.

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I do too, I eat tons of veggies but have a hard time getting fruit in. I try and have a banana with breakfast, or I take one with me for an on the go snack. I also force myself to have an orange for a snack sometimes, its always delicious, I don't know why I have to force myself to do it! Once in a while I make a berry smoothie with frozen berries and low fat vanilla yogurt...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Honestly, it's great that you're eating raw vegetables, and there are a lot of the same vitamins in vegetables that there are in fruits. Try some different fruits that you haven't had before...there are lots of weird ones out there...and maybe you'll find something that you want to eat often.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Btw...now I'm craving fresh fruit and don't really have any, other than lemons. I'm gonna have to go to the store tonight now, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I agree with the many vitamins in common thing - though it's not a 100% covered, so if you can eat fruits that would be ideal.

If your getting enough fiber in your other food, you could go the 100% fruit juice rout, or try mixing your fruit with yogurt or cottage cheese. Or putting them in salads or cereals. Maybe you'd like the taste combo better than the fruits alone.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• imo, 1-2 fruits a day is plenty.
    funny, most people prefer the fruits!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• gramsmom, is that all you put in yogurt and fruit?

happy2bmom25, I know it's weird. I think part of it is veggies are easier to cut up ahead of time for snacking/eating later but most fruits go bad faster so I can't pre-cut a lot of it.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 4:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It is ok. You should have 5-7 servings a day of either or both, in at least three different colors.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2010