How many words should a 14month old be saying?

Our DD isn't really saying any clear words other than a few like Mama, Dada, Dog (Dahga), baby, aww wee and belly button (bebe bu'in). She understands everything we say and can show us alot. She knows all of her body parts, where her things are, and can show me the numbers 1-5 on her hands. She's very smart, but just not really speaking, is that normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The time-honored rule of thumb is:

Walk at one,
    Talk at two,
    Think at three.

Any words at all at this age is great ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• At my son's 18 month check up they wanted him to be saying 10 words. Your little one sounds like she is doing fine. Don't stress.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My son is 14 months and only says mama and dada. Every now and then bye and ky(for kitty). Just read them books and name off words that you see. No need to rush them.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 4:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• at 14 months my son had a couple 1/2 words really, that was about it, about 16 months he had about 25 1/2 words and 10 single words and about 19 months is when he really hit it and went in to sentences.. felt like an actual over night change!
    Anonymous

• My dd was only saying a couple words until she hit 19mos! Then she just suddenly took off and now has no problem. She knew her colors and shapes just wouldn't talk! Give your dd time and she will!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You're doing just fine and so is the baby. All of them develop in different ways and on different schedules.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2010