Advice on family???

Have any of you ever gotten so tired of your own parent and sibling drama that you cut ties with them.I am a 38 yr. old wife and parent who feels I can no longer put up with my mother and siblings because it has gotten mentally draining.All I hear from people is "you need your family."I don't feel like I do anymore.Any suggestions would help.

wishes4me

Asked by wishes4me at 1:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• I've never felt the need to cut ties completely.

But I have on occasion needed a break, and just noticed caller ID, and didn't pick up the phone.
    Anonymous

• My son cut ties with me and his sisters. It's ok to be estranged from family. It has helped him grow up so I don't take it personally.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Not with my family. But DH's family, yes. I don't know how he puts up with their crap. My family has some drama, there is an argument, a cool off, and then together. Normal in other words. The same things don't typically happen twice. His family is drama all the time. It's lies, manipuation, stupidity, it's exhausting to deal with.
    Anonymous

• My mother makes me feel like cutting her off all the time. I never do it because I really do love her regardless of what she does or says to me. There's a lot of bad things she has done but there are also a lot of good things she's done. I may keep my distance sometimes when she's out of line but I never cut her off completely. Besides, if I cut her off and she passed away, I would never forgive myself. I would be so hurt and would have to carry that around for the rest of my life. I just can't do that.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 2:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Honestly, I get this completely. Sometimes families can be the worst people to be around. You will always have a tie to them and I am sure you will always love them but just bc they are family does not mean you have to sick around. You have to do what is right for you to be healthy. They may get in the way of that. Getting away from that will help you gain confidence in yourself. You can lean on friends for support. Then maybe one day your family will be able to see why you chose what you did...and sometimes some time away can help you see that some things never change but you can see them for them and love them anyway.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 2:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2010