When does someone usually start to develope breast milk?

I'm 38 weeks pregnant... I thought I would have developed breast milk by now, maybe not? Does it just happen right after birth?
I've had 2 other children (ages 8, 9) I just can't remember :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It usually happens a few days after birth. You may develop colostrum before then, but you won't have actual milk until after you deliver.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You should have colostrum forming. Your milk will not come in right away. It may take a few days after you deliver for your milk to come in! Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• The first two posts are correct. Some mothers leak colostrum before delivery and mistake it for milk. Some don't.leak at all.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 2:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• milk begins to develop as soon as coception happens. of course is not going to show until a few days after the baby is born. colostrum might begin to leak prior to delivery but in some cases it wont show up until you ate in labor or have deliver the baby. i never leaked with any iof my pregnacies and i had an oversupply of milk.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Your milk will come in a few days after the baby is born.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 2:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You already have colostrum, you just aren't necessarily leaking any, and that's fine. Around 16 weeks your body starts to produce it. Even if you can't see it, baby will get it. Then, mature milk will come in within days after the birth. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2010