Would you relocate your teens to a different state for a better opportunity?

My DDs are 12 and 15. They will be in 7th and 10th grades next year. We are strongly considering moving from Ohio to Texas. The area where we currently live is economically depressed, to say the least. We would be moving to an area where there is actual growth and our kids could actually have a job to go to when they graduate college. The 15 year old seems excited at the thought, but the 12 year old not so much. I just don't want my kids to have to move away from me to start a life when they become adults. Why not start a new life over for all of us where we can all be together and have good lives. Would you consider uprooting your children?

MissesV

Asked by MissesV at 10:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, absolutely. When kids become teenagers a lot of what they decide is important comes from their friends and their environment. If I felt that the area that I was living in was not going to give them opportunities, then I would absolutely move. Just make sure whatever decision you make is best for the whole family, not just because you don't want them to move away. They might move away whether or not you guys relocate now.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 10:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Absolutely! espically if you can do better for yourself and your hubby. The kids will get over it and make new friends, and change is GOOD. Change is always happening, don't be sad or blue....change can make ya happy cause it brings ya something new!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Yes my parents did it for me and i would do it for my kids
    GraciesMom52407

Answer by GraciesMom52407 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Definitely! They might not be happy about it, but you are the parent and you know what's best for it. In the long run, when they are older, they'll probably thank you. And with the technology we have today, they'll have no problem staying in touch with their friends from Ohio. Good luck!
    Ryanswife06

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• new to cafe mom, I'm a military brat. I evolved and learned from each new place/station overseas or mainland we was stationed at..... weather or not it was a good place or not ....b/c of the moves and changes.... made me a better person, sure i lost friends along the way. but... today i am an individual who is independant and self confident....hmm maybe I should have written a book on how to walk into a new caffateria... yack yack , in the long run the change will benefit them.. and you too.
    BEAR_

Answer by BEAR_ at 11:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• in a heartbeat, if I was going with them.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Yes I would I have eleven year old, if I had to and it would be better for her YES
    dulcedelarosa

Answer by dulcedelarosa at 6:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2008