Did you like "Catcher In The Rye?"

Author JD Salinger died yesterday at the age of 91.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1957492,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

I remember hating that book in high school. I think I may need to go pick up a copy and see if 30 years has given me a better understanding of it.

Asked by gdiamante at 2:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I've never read it. I've always meant to, I even have a copy of it.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 2:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• awww! I LOVE that book!
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• LOVED it. How sad that such a wonderful talent is no longer with us.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I loved that book, but to be honest I had no idea he was still alive at this point.

Odd thing - a friend and I were just discussing the book yesterday, and we had no idea he had passed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I did not enjoy it when it was required reading. Some years later I read it on my own and found that it was an excellent book. Probably the only book we had to read in High School that I LOVED start to finish.. To Kill A Mochingbird., and I STILL can't stand Animal Farm. Showing my age again.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Loved that book, sad he has left us.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• *Mockingbird
    GrnEyedGrandma

• I loved love loved To Kill A Mockingbird!...and Animal Farm was rather annoying lol.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 2:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It was ok. Along with TKAMB., The Scarlet Letter The Jungle,The Pearl, The Grapes of Wrath and the worst imo, Lord of the Flies. You know what bothers me the most? My kids read the EXACT same books 30+ years later. Is this the best they have to offer? Does anyone even do reviews of more recent works?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Sisteract, you're exactly right. In 2000, we read To Kill A Mockingbird (my favorite), Catcher in the Rye, Scarlet Letter, The Pearl, Animal Farm....and many others that have been on the list since practically the beginning of time. The "newest" book we read was still a couple decades old.

My all-time least favorite of the required reading was All Quiet on the Western Front. Hated it.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010