Getting a 6 mo old to take a bottle

I have EBF for the past 6 months I now need him to take a bottle and he wont. I have tried when hes hungry when hes not when hes awake when hes asleep I have tried I let my partner try I have tried with formula and breastmilk I have tried different bottle and different nipples any more ideas PLEASE HELP ME the only other thing I can think of is to try a sippy cup

Sbahns

Asked by Sbahns at 2:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you are the one given the bottle he is not going to take it. he ascociates you with the boob. try given the bottle to someone else and make sure you are not in the room
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I have tried that!!!!!!!!
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 2:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• If it were me I'd give him the sippy cup now, you'll never have to mess with bottles. It may take some time but keep offering the sippy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• then try the sippy. it might take a while before you find the one he likes.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Do the cup. No reason for a bottle at all. Make sure you are GONE when it's offered...out of sight smell hearing.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I agree that someone else will have to initiate the bottle for him, but if you are not going to continue nursing, I would do the bottle rather than a cup. Eventually, he'll take it and you can have your bonding time like when you were nursing him. I don't understand why someone would want a 6 month old NOT to nurse (with bottle or breast, doesn't matter) and have that comforting feeling. I really wonder how many moms actually continue holding their babies after they start using the cup.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Obviouslyl your baby NEEDS to keep breastfeeding. If you have to be gone your baby can use a cup. If sippy cups don't work try a cup and straw or just cup feeding. Some babies won't bottle feed. It's a survival mechanism.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Gailll, how is it a "survival mechanism" not to feed from whatever source is available? That doesn't make sense to me. It would seem to me to be a "survival mechanism" to take a source that you are not used to, but that offers sustenance. Even in nature, animals who are orphaned in the wild will bottle-feed in order to survive.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You need to have someone else introduce the bottle, when you are out of sight.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2010