The Lord helps those who help themselves... (Christians)

what does this mean?

Aren't there times when we just need the help of the Lord before we can help ourselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you are an alcoholic and say to yourself "I am perfectly fine and normal" then AA cant help you.
    God works the same way. He ultimately gave you free will so if you dont want to accept him and his help he cant make you. You have to put the effort into knowing him and trying to be positive. Many verses of the Bible also point to the importance of trusting that God will help you. You cant just wallow in your misery, there has to be a heart to heal and a strength to revive.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I think there are times when we need Divine intervention into our circumstances, and I have seen that happen on many occasions. I think the saying refers to those areas where we have needs that we can help ourselves and we sit idly by waiting for the Lord to do something. A good example would be in the area of getting a job. We can pray and ask God to help us find a job, but He expects us to be out beating the pavement and filling out applications. Or say we need a place to live, and we ask God to provide us one. We need to be out looking for possibilities. I think it just means that we should be doing our part while waiting for God to do His.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You have to admit that you are a sinner. Admit that you need help in the first place. Make at least a small effort to help yourself. God needs at least some raw material to work with.
    Anonymous

• That's a phrase coined by man. I have read through the bible several times and never seen anything remotely like that.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 3:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I know it is not in the bible, I was just asking what it means.
    Anonymous

• My bad! :) I think it means we have to be active in our faith. Faith without works is dead...just paraphrased. I hope I didn't come off snooty. Wasn't my intention. I HATE that we can't truly convey tone in our answers!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 3:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I hate that phrase.
    I prefer "God helps those who need Him, especially those who cannot help themselves". We know from the bible that God takes special care of the stranger, the widow and the orphan, and we should all do the same.
    Anonymous

• Matthew 9:11-13 (New American Standard Bible)

11When the Pharisees saw this, they said to His disciples, "Why is your Teacher eating with the tax collectors and sinners?"

12But when Jesus heard this, He said, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick.

13"But go and learn what this means: 'I DESIRE COMPASSION, [a]AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• As in witchcraft and spellsworking, the spell cannot help you unless you do YOUR part. I can perform a healing spell but you have to get off your butt and consult a doctor. Prayer is fine but you can't stay on your knees until it's answered. You have to contribute to your own answer. If reading the bible hasn't demonstrated it to you already, god doesn't LIKE having to work miracles to convince you. But he certainly doesn't mind taking the credit when a miracle occurs naturally.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2010