The child I nanny is driving me nuts!

I nanny for a friend's son 3 days a week. He is 3 & 1/2 and my son is 19 months. The rules they have at their house are way different than ours and their son has behavioral issues...not super bad but he is definitely a handful. I am a lot harsher in the way I discipline and how often I discipline and I feel like he does better with me alot of the time (we are close with his parents so we are often at their house or in social situations together). I use the excuse that I can discipline for smaller issues b/c I'm not with him all the time and his parents have to "choose their battles" but he is starting to be out of control. He whines for EVERYTHING...it's driving me nuts! It's usually worse after he has been at home for a few days (like over the weekend) but I don't know how to talk to his mom with out sounding like I have the answers & she doesn't b/c I know she is trying...HELP!!! Plus I don't want my son to act the same way.

kew_05

Asked by kew_05 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When did babysitting become a "nanny" job?
    Anonymous

• I think You should give up the job. It may end up ruining your friendship and you could get resentful toward the little guy.
    Anonymous

• You can only do what you can do. If he's becoming too much to handle at this age, its not going to get better. You cant exactly tell these people their kid is bratty & they need to parent differently...well I guess you COULD but I would imagine they probably wont be your friends anymore.
    Anonymous

Wow anon that was helpful advice lol!

i think all you can do is tell the mom you are working on whining and let her know what your plan is and how our handling it then just laugh and tell her you guys can tag team him and he'll be getn it at both houses! Tell her poor boy wont know what hit him. His behavior sounds fairly normal for a 3yr old and it is annoying but you will just have ot come up with a plan to stop it and ask her to get on board with it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2010