Auto immune?

It was recommended to me (by a doctor) that I get tested for auto immune issues. I don't have health insurance, so it's taking me some time to save up the money for the testing. In the mean time, I'm curious... what could this mean? 'Auto immune' is such an intimidating phrase. And such a broad term, as well. I guess I'm a little nervous.

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 3:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Health

• Autoimmune is when your body attaches "healthy" cells and tissue.. To be more specific their are about 80 types of this. It can range from lupus, to MS. Google autoimmune diseases and you can get the whole list.. The more you know the better you will be able to cope, understand etc... Don't freak, you don't know anything yet. Type 1 diabetes is a type of autoimmune. Millions of people have autoimmune and live a normal life with some modifications.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It's where your body attacks itself,particularly the organs.Lupus and ulcerative colitis are auto-immune disorders
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• There are a lot of them, aren't there?
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 3:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/09/17/autoimmune-diseases.aspx
    Anonymous