Why does the Catholic church use incense? I've always seen the priest swing this thing around w/incense in it, but it never dawned on me to ask anyone. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP here, OK, I can see where this is going. I only wanted to know what the incense was used for and i got my answer so to avoid people becoming further inflamed, i will close out the question. Thanks to all the mommies that answered and to the ones that remained civil.
    Anonymous

• iused to be catholic and is till dont know why!! al i know is that it made me really sick and am asthmatic and i always had and asthma attck if i was in churchwhe the priest did that
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Where's Erin?

What I remember from RCIA is that it's to help prayers rise up.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• What I remember from RCIA is that it's to help prayers rise up.

mm yeah helped prayes rise up and help my lungs begin to collapsed.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

•  Incense was used a lot throughout the bible that's why its sometimes used. As a child I only remember a few times that our church did this, now its never used at my church. As a kid I loved it. It was something special and I liked watching the priest and servers walk up and down the aisles.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• piwife, what are you hoping to gain? because right now you are showing yourself to be very self absorbed and mean.

As for the actual question. Ryansmom already said it is used throughout the bible. In fact, Jesus was given incense, frankincense. It isn't so much to help the prayers rise, but a symbol of prayers rising. Our priest will burn it before Mass a lot. I don't know why, but I love the smell.

it is used at funerals as well, a symbol of the person rising to be with the Heavenly Father.
    Anonymous

• there is a direct connection between incense and prayer:

‘Now when he had taken the scroll the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.’ (Rev 5.8).

‘Then another angel having a golden censer came in and stood at the altar. He was give much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar that was before the throne. And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, ascended before God from the angel’s hand. (Rev 8 3-4)

In the Mass incense is used in two ways. First, it cleanses symbolically the people and the things involved in the Eucharist. Almost the first action of the celebrant is the censing of the altar, after which he is himself censed.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Secondly, incense is a visual representation of prayer rising to God. This can be seen most clearly when the thurible is used at the elevation of the Host and Chalice at the consecration. No cleansing is necessary here: the incense emphasises dramatically a deeply prayerful moment. This second use of incense is perhaps most strikingly seen in the rite of Benediction.

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• This sounds similar to pagan/witch practices which uses it is spell craft. Maybe it does have some sort of effect on the universe you never know.
    Anonymous