needing advice about tween puberty ?

i have a 10 year old daughter thats going through puberty. and i dont know how to deal with her half the time.her mood swings are alful and i cant talk to her cause she is never in the wrong iam always wrong... i cant spank her cause it does nothing for her.....i know i sound like im not a good mom its just frustrating to me that you can talk but nothing gets thru to her... if you have advice please give it .... thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• yeah i wouldnt spank. i dont think spanking or hitting or yelling does anything but teach anger. growing up is rough! especially for a girl. try and be understanding & hear her point of view and understand that shes not doing it on purpose, and she cant help it. i dont know what else to say because i dont know what problems your having with her.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• you still need to set your boundaries. Puberty is no excuse for her to be rude if she is. Let things go sometimes. But never let her cross the line, like talk to you inappropriately. And whats expected of her still must be done. Get that through her head or else she's grounded. Give her freedom but never reset your boundaries or she's just gonna raise hell!I Thats just what they do, see how far they can push the line.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Check out the puberty article, connecting with teen articles here http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

I think you will find it helpful.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 5:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Does she understand her mood swings? A child who does not understand the changes going on may be completely freaked out? You may need to remind her that she is being bombarded with "big girl hormones", not going crazy.

You may also want to move your house towards healthier foods: whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits; cut way back on, or eliminate: meat, dairy, white/simple grains, processesed sugars like HFCS, high sodium foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Stop and think. She's gone through this with you every time you have a period so it's your turn to go through it with her. Don't fight with her. Just accept what it is. If she gets too out of control just remind her that it's hormones and it's part of growing up. Talk to her calmly and do NOT hit that child. What purpose would that serve anyway? She can't control herself. She being ruled by hormones so it's not like she can stop but she can be assured that this is normal and that she will be ok. She's looking for you to help guide her through this not be her adversary. Just take a deep breath and let it out to remain calm then remember when you were that age going through this. This too shall pass.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My 12 year old Naudya, took her PMS-ing, and her puberty as an advantage to get attitudes with me, and to get me somehow into letting her skip school without a punishment. I set my boundaries and made her do things I would have never made her do in the first place if she didn't take advantage of her puberty. I think you should just let her PMS and have her period all upset, and after a while either you or she will have a melt down or break down, my mom did that with me because I had ADD and couldn't focus, I had a nervous breakdown and she explained to me the importance of knowing my limits when I have my period or even when I don't.
    NatiMarti

Answer by NatiMarti at 1:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2010