Where does sense of entitlement come from? You may be surprised.

In light of all the recent PA bashing and their "sense of entitlement"I think it's important to note that it's not "only" the PA users that have a sense of entitlement. The most recent studies on college students show that the majority of students that have a sense of entitlement are upper middle class or wealthy. Researchers can't agree on whether this "entitlement" is for the good or bad.
Where do you think a "sense of entitlement" comes from and why do you always look to blame the poor or working poor for this problem?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Self-entitled College Students

That's a link to an article that measured the dynamics of entitlement of college students in a certain University.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I think it comes from people who don't really have to work hard for what they have. They are more or less spoiled, so they have a sense of entitlement. They think they are entitled to a certain lifestyle. I know a girl like this. She told ier bf before they got married, that he didn't have enough money to be married to her.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Someone having a sense of entitlement has little to do with class. It has to do with how you were raised. What you were taught. When parents give their children everything they ask for, or practically everything, that child learns all they have to do is say 'I want that" and believes it should be given. On the other hand a child that is raised in a home where nobody works, and everyone recieves a check from the state to support them that is what they learn.They grow up to believe they are owed something. Children must be taught to appreciate what they have. They need to recognize and appreciate the hard work that earned the money for what they have. Rich, poor or anywhere in the middle. Sense of entitlement is taught by those around them. That is the way I see it anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I know people from all different walks of life and the only ones I know that have that sense of entitlement are the ones from wealthy families. Most people that I know that are poor are grateful for what they have and are working hard to better themselves.
    The ones that feel entitled to everything are the ones that came from homes with excess money. In particular the ones who's daddy is a bank manager. Both children are in their late 20s, early 30s and their parents pay their mortgages and gambling debts.
    It makes me sick that my dh feels he has to compete with these people. We live modestly and are careful budgeters, we are not on PA, so we do not have many luxuries. I keep telling him that he should be proud of doing it all on our own without mommy and daddy buying our way through life.
    cont...
    Anonymous

• cont...
    I really think that people that have to struggle have a less sense of entitlement, they know what it is like to work hard. When you have had everything handed to you, you don't appreciate hard work.
    Does that mean that all people form wealthy families have the sense of entitlement? No, but neither do all the people on PA.
    Anonymous

• I was brought up in a upper middle class family(complete w/a trust fund tied into a family business) I was not given everything that I wanted as a kid. Even so,I am a proud person and I do not want any sort of PA. I married a man who has worked all his life and we are poor by monitary standards. I have my trust and thats about it. His job working for the state in which we are rearing our two kids is not enough to suuport him let alone the four of us. I have HAD to depend upon my trust just to keep us off PA. I hate PA and I especially the attitudes about PA. I do believe that it's there for a reason and it should be used to help those ppl. I also think they should get soda to drink as a treat AND OMG! Steak and lobster if they are good at budgeting what little they have.
    Anonymous

• The generation coming into their early twenties is a generation of entitled brats. They are gong to be the ruin of this country! Talk about a sense of entitlement!
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry, but if something is offered to you, how are you NOT entitled to it?
    Anonymous

• i think it comes from the parents.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Anon ;47 proves the point. Just because it is offered doesn't make you entiitled. It makes you fortunate. Being grateful. Understanding that it takes money to pay for things. Understanding that when you become an adult it will be your JOB to pay for YOUR stuff. Lacking any or all of those things gives you a sense of entitlement. NOBODY owes you jack. NOBODY. All your parentsa HAVE to do is make sure you are fed, clothed and have a place to sleep. Not that you have your own room with a TV and cell phone with hundreds of dollars in clothing and shoes. Cars handed to you with nothing required. Parents paying your insurance and gas. Mommy and Daddy giving you money . Gaming sytems, going out to eat and so on. Some of these teens and 20 somethings are now having their own kids doing the same thing.
    Anonymous