How is one a slur and not the other?

I was going to ask this in that lame joke thread, but I expect it to be deleted shortly.

Why is it making a comment about the literal tenets of a religion is a "slur," but telling someone you hope they find the truth/stop being deceived (in other words, saying their religion is a lie) and come to Jesus is not a slur? If it's not acceptable to restate the beliefs of Christians, shouldn't it also be unacceptable to call the beliefs of non-Christians false?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because it wasn't a joke. It was a direct attack against the basic principles of Christianity. Had I put a joke up about Wicca or commented about Paganism in that manner, I would be hung out to dry. I will not be idle in the defense of Christianity.
    Anonymous

• I was thinking the same thing Notpanicking.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It was a direct attack against the basic principles of Christianity.

And calling another religion a lie is not a direct attack against its principles?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• NP, yes calling a person who is lying a liar is not a behavior I would condone. Are you talking about something specific?
    Anonymous

• The questions are NOT deleted and the bashing of not only Pagans but Catholics, JW etc are allowed to continue. Sometimes they are deleted but most times they are not.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• who said either wasn't
    Anonymous

• I think in the case of the post with the Christian "definition" people need to chill because they were told it was a joke and might offend some so be warned. They chose to read even after that warning, they dont have a reason to be all upset after that imo.

People call non-christians devil worshippers and liars and all sorts of other rotten things all the time...and they arent forewarned it was a joke. Its what people believe yet they go on and arent tattled on and freaked out on.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I I don't think it's a joke, I think it's accurate!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 4:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I agree- It's acuatlly been said to me 'so you as a jew don't believe that Jesus is what he really is'
    or someone asking me what my temple's stand on Jesus was and I told her we didn't have one as far as I knew- and she continued that a Jewish temple MUST have a stand on something as important as Jesus!
    but not everyone is like that- I attended a rummage sale last summer at a church and the powers that be wanted everyone one to use it as a 'come to Jesus' thing. Most@the sale didn't want to do it. So they would put the flyers in the bag and say 'they're making me do this- I'm sorry!'
    I think those that call religions other than their own (no matter what the religion) are just insecure and look at trying to convert people as a way to make themselves feel more important. How many times have you heard it- until I found the mission of saving others my life was meaningless! what does that tell you? I guess they don't know better.
    Anonymous

• Everyone has a right to their opinion and cm allows (or so they say) people to express their views freely as long as it's not a direct personal attack. They allow pro-life people to call pro-choice people" murderers". They have allowed many racial slurs to slip through the cracks of what they call "freedom of expression" as well.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2010