Babys first tub bath...

My baby is almost 7 months and sits on his own, so we are going to sit him in the tub for the first time, anyone have tips? My aunt said to put a towel under him so he wont slip, but do they sell something else he can sit on.
Also, do you think he will get cold with just sitting in there?

BrittanyD07

Asked by BrittanyD07 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't add more than a few inches of water in it. I would personally not have any plug in the tub and just let the water drain off freely. The last thing you want is for baby to head dunk the water and for him to breathe it in.

Our baby sits up, but we still use the infant tub. I just feel safer with baby in it and sort of restricted from the rest of the tub. Baby is the same age as your child.
    Anonymous

• OH BROTHER!
    The last mom made it seem like your baby was going to drown.

Your son will be cold if theres only two inches of water in the tub. When I was nanny the boy had a rubber mat that was used only for him- like one used for your feet so you wouldnt slip. or you can put a BUMBO chair in the tub before you fill it itll keep from floating- it always wked for me. The only issue with the bumbo is you have to lift him out of the seat to wash the privates.

They sell the bath mats @ bedbathbeyond
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Lol, good idea.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Use the kitchen sink. Much easier than the bathtub.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I've never used a baby tub. I just lay my 6.5 month old son down in the normal bath and let him splash to his hearts content, and he doesn't get cold because he is surrounded by water, lol. When my first started sitting in the bath I always had it go up to her belly button. Getting cold has never been a problem at bath time for me o.o I imagine you will be right there with him the whole time so chances he will slip are slim and if he does you will be right there to help him.

I use the sink for quick baths :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• The rubber mat is a must for slippery surfaces. I also didn't use a baby tub for our 7 month old, and didn't worry about him getting cold. The water was warm, he was excited and playing and only in there for a few minutes, so no time to get too cold.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010