when do you start using a bed for your child?

my son is reaching 20 months old and i have been wondering when he should start using a regular bed instead of a crib.

jessie_jra

Asked by jessie_jra at 5:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you are ready to transition. My 19 mo will stay in her crib until she needs to get up at night to potty, then we will transition the bed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• There is no set time as to when you should move your son to a bed. It all depends on... is he trying to climb out, are you working on potty training, etc.? My 1st daughter was 2 yrs. old when we moved her to a toddler bed & 3 when we got her a twin bed. She climbed out of her crib one day and shortly after we moved her to a toddler bed. We were also already working on potty training and she was communicating very well. My 2nd daughter on the otherhand, who's 22 mos. old now, definitely doesn't seem ready for a big girl bed. We haven't started potty training and she doesn't really talk well yet... she's not to the point my 1st daughter was at that age. I won't be moving her to a big bed unless she starts to climb out of her crib. I think you will know when your son is ready.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 8:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We moved my daughter when we moved houses, about 28 or 29 months I think? It was an easy time for a transition but we wouldn't have done it if we didn't think she was ready... she talked a lot about "big girl beds" she saw in her books and things... We had thought she would move much earlier so her little sister could use the crib (15 months apart those two), but things were working just fine with the little one in the pack n' play. Then I began to think we'd wait until she was three or exceeded the weight limits or she started climbing out (she actually knew how but did not to it)... none of these things happened, but with the move we decided to make the transition. We were thrilled with the timing... she didn't get out of her twin bed any more than she did her crib... she only just started that this past week (lol). I'd wait until there's a reason to move her.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• my son is 17 mo and his in a toddler bed. i'm not going to say it's been easy, but he is now doing a lot better in it. i think he likes it better since he can get up and down when he's ready instead of waiting on me or dh.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 2:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2010