My son opens and closes his hands a lot randomly when showing different emotions. Is this normal?

I just know there is a stigma with autism so it makes me worry. He has no other concerns makes great eye contact and has 30 + words. He always did this as a baby too. Just wondered if others have little ones that do this too. We call it his happy hands!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• do you make hand gestures when engaged in conversation? do you know a lot of adults (and children) who do? it is a normal human expression... I would not worry at all.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I just learned about this in class today.. my instructor said it could be a sign of autism, but in lots of other cases its just a way to simulate. Little babies do it,( looking at hands, opening and closing them,) and so do adults, (tapping a pencil, shaking of the leg,) if you think about it. Does he do other random things? My son shakes (lol) when hes angry or very happy haha. Like a lil dog. If it bothers you there is always a doctor to call and ask or get tests.
    Anonymous

• Thanks!!

Good to know I never thought about it that way. I shake my leg all the time!! He definatly has no other signs of autism. I think he is ahead of the game socially!

He definatly is the mover shaker twice. I guess it could be his body language :)

I did mention it to ped and he said it doesnt bother him in the least! I just wanted to hear if other kiddos do it :)

Anonymous

• Maybe he is trying to communicate with you like baby sign language?
    Pristine_Dream

Answer by Pristine_Dream at 8:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It is completely normal, just like us adults when we talk some of us use our hands to talk.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2010