My son is continuing to have accidents at least every other day. What am I doing wrong?

Potty Training 911

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How old is your son? Is he using training pants? Maybe he is just not ready. Be sure to limit fluids and offer him the potty regularly. He will get it eventually. Don't worry!
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 10:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• OMG I am going through the same thing. Anyhow, I just keep going and put him on the potty way more often. I also bribe a little bit. I also put him outside more often with a little potty. Good luck!
    Lisa
    www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 1:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Are the accidents happening during the day or at night? Staying dry through the night can take quite a while. If it's happening during the day, take him to the bathroom ever couple hours.
    hcmerrell

Answer by hcmerrell at 5:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Time when his accidents are, and remember to ask him if he needs to use the bathroom. Even if he says no, if you are going out somewhere, make him at least sit on the toilet and try. Limit his drinks, especially at night. If this still doesn't work, he just might not be ready. You might need to put him back in diapers and wait for a few months. It might not be ideal, but it will probably be less stressful for the both of you.
    Ryanswife06

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Don't worry, boys take a little longer to be fully trained. Just keep trying and praising him whenever he goes on the potty; you can get a plastic container and put some "prizes" (please not candies!! - little cars, erasers, pencils, crayons, whatever he like to play with, specially his favorite right now)) for every time he goes on the potty. And don't forget to send him every 15' to 20' to the bathroom even if he insist he doesn't want. Just be pacient!!
    anapatita7

Answer by anapatita7 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I learned in a psychology class that potty training is the first thing they have control over. Think about it it's the one thing you cannot control and they can. Make sure you only show attention when they use the potty and make sure it is positive and exciting. That and limit fluids.
    brimarie8

Answer by brimarie8 at 7:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• another tip for a boy is cheerios floating as targets. i never tried it but it might work for your son.
    brimarie8

Answer by brimarie8 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2008