15 month old and texture issues with food? Is this normal?

There is only a list of certain foods he will eat and he will not try anything new. One day I will think he has a texture issue and the next I think he is picky I cant decipher!

morrisonkm9

Asked by morrisonkm9 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has issues with textures.. its becoming more and more common apparently. Its gotten to be less and less of an issue the older he has gotten. He turned 2 in Nov and still has issues with certain foods and textures but not nearly as much!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Try keeping a log for a couple of weeks and see if that helps to determine if it's a texture issue vs just general pickiness. Either way, it can be just a phase he'll grow out of. However, watch for any other sensory issues he may have (i.e. is he picky about what he wears, overly sensitive to sounds, etc). If it seems to be a broader issue, mention it to his doctor. Otherwise, wait for it to pass but don't give us offering him new things. You might try to give him new things in textures he's comfortable with (i.e. pumpkin in pumpkin bread, or veggies in a smoothie)
    Anonymous

• Thanks for your response! My little one is a november birthday too :) I hope it gets less and less for us too:)
    morrisonkm9

Answer by morrisonkm9 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Thanks we do have an upcoming appointment in two weeks with an OT and ST to see what is going on. He had reflux and was medicated until 10 mos and I still here him reflux so I wonder if this is where the aversion comes in. He will eat purees all day but is very picky about finger foods. He is to the point now where he will not even try new things. He will eat bananas, grapes, blueberries, apples, chicken, sometimes peas (thats it for veggies other than purees), waffles, pancakes, crackers, dry cereals, fruit strips, sometimes spagehti more miss than hits there!

So he eats something from all textures but he just is hesitant to even try things.

No other issues with senses. He doesnt care about noises, smells etc. I actually completed a checklist on sensory processing and it seems to be only food issues.
    morrisonkm9

Answer by morrisonkm9 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It is very common for formula fed babies to have texture issues, though this may be a stage. Get your child evaluated; if there is an issue, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• He was exclusively breastfed for 14 months. We have the evaluation week after next! Hopefully just a picky stage!
    morrisonkm9

Answer by morrisonkm9 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2010