Did Anyone See This? Thoughts? Opinions?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=email_en&sid=aSDzLcEyoNas

Sisteract

Asked by Sisteract at 5:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• China will one day sit at the head of the world table.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I really thought that wal-mart was getting better with USA things. I am sooooooo against anything to do with China! Sooooooooooooooo against it!
    IWantLotsOfKids

Answer by IWantLotsOfKids at 5:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I agree with both of you ladies. This is the kind of stuff that will bring this country to it's knees. This is a huge contributing factor to our current JOB problem in this country. We must start thinking globally.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• And people wonder why there are no jobs. I call it Walmart Economics. I rarely shop at Walmart because of this. The sad thing is that a lot of people realize it is a problem but continue to shop there because of the lower prices.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• What sucks is in the small town where my in laws live in Indiana, Wal Mart is the ONLY clothing store for 50 miles. They have sucked the life out of all other stores...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• grly- In many, many towns across America. I have not stepped foot in a Wal Mart (or 1 of their subsids) since the 1990s- They gobble up industry after industry- Good bye Main Street.  I feel sorry for the poorer section of our population. They shop @ WM because it's cheap,yet at the same time WM bleeds jobs and the upward mobility that some of these folks might benefit from-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I used to work at WM way back in the mid 90's, when they were all about Made in America. There were banners all over the store. So sad that an American company with roots in the very heart of smalltown America could sell out to China like it has. I try very hard to avoid WM. There are 2 or 3 things that the family (mostly dh) likes that I can only find there. As for price, yeah, they are cheap, but so are its competitors. I just stock up on what is on sale each week, and I do fairly well that way.
    Now, I have to wonder about what O said in the SOTU last night about keeping jobs in America, and giving tax breaks to those who stay here. How does something like work into that? Does this count as outsourcing jobs, because you know full well that there are plenty of people here who would love/be able to do that kind of work. Just wondering, you know.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2010