How do I get a 3 year old who is terrified of anything ear related to accept getting ear drops in her ears?!

My daughter unfortunately develops excessive ear wax. Her doctor has not been able to look inside her ears because of it. She has to be held down by both of us for ear exams, and screams like she's being drawn and quartered. I need to use ear drops on her now and would rather not have to hold her down, screaming. Any clever ideas on a different way to accomplish this? THANKS!!

Lucysmom37

Asked by Lucysmom37 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Good luck. I have a son with the same problem since he was 2 or 3. He is 21 now and still has problems with his ears and if I try to look in or put drops in you think I was killing him. When they clean them at the doctors they always say it's the most wax they have ever seen.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Have you tried letting her do it "by herself." in other words let her hold the bottle as you aim and squeeze out the drops. If she feels like she has some control over it, it will help alleviate some of the fear. Consider letting the doctor do the same with the instruments. He/she will have most of the control, but your little one will at least feel like she has some say in things. I'd also educate her on ear things. GO online and look for picturs of the different instruments (the least scary ones) that doctors will use. And if possible, see if the doctors will let her look closely at each one of them. SOmetimes letting kids learn a little is the best fix for fears.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• give her a doll or stuffed animal and a dropper. you can give your babies drops together

Answer by rkoloms at 8:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2010