I gave blood about 2 hours ago...and I feel yucky...is this normal?

I feel sort of out of breath and blahhhh....I dont want to over do it...like they said not to....but I gotta take care of the kiddos ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Health

• Eat and drink something and sit down or lay down. You should feel better soon. Congrats on donating. I used to be a lab tech and process the blood and my son was a phlebotomist for a blood bank while he was in college.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• The last time I gave blood I collapsed. So yeah, feeling yucky after giving blood is normal. Maybe you need to eat and drink more?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 5:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Nope, not normal. You need to try eating something and see if that makes you feel better. If it doesn't you need to call and let them know. I used to work for a blood bank and I've donated.
    Anonymous

• You didn't say how old the kiddos are but drink some juice and maybe eat a cookie. If they are old enough maybe they will watch tv or do homework and let mommy catch her breath for a few min. I'd call mom or hubby or a friend or neighbor to stop by and help if possible

Answer by admckenzie at 5:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Natural sugars are better for you. Avoid the cookie if possible.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 6:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Very normal for some people. An adult averages what, 8 pints of blood in their body? And when you donate they take a pint out. So yeah, your blood volume has to replenish itself, which can take a day or two. Definitely rest, eat well, take care of your kids but don't overdo anything! I used to do it all the time and some days would feel fine, and some days would feel blah after. Also, if you have it, take some iron for the next few days. It wouldn't be a bad idea for the future to get some, if you plan to donate again, and take it for a couple days prior to donating and for a few days after. Drink plenty of water too!
    Anonymous

• OP HERE:

I drank some juice...ate a good supper...I feel much better this morning! Thank you for all your advice ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2010