Should I breast feed?

Iv had people ask me are you going to breast feed? I dont realy want to. But I want the best for my baby! So would it be better to breast feed??

NewMommy690

Asked by NewMommy690 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i think one of the best "side effects" of breastfeeding is that if your lo is teething or has a cold, you can comfort them and nourish them from the breast, and be far less tempted to give tylenol, motrin andantibiotics.
    my g'ma always said that it is always ready, always the perfect temp, and no bottles to wash!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• There's a TON of research saying just how much better it is. Check out the 101 Reasons to Breastfeed on promom.org.

Couple of benefits:

Decreased RISK of illness for baby

Decreased RISK of obesity for baby (I note it this way because some people think it's automatic...it's NOT)

Faster shrinking of your uterus post-partum

Potential delay of your post-partum period

Decreased RISK of breast cancer for you.

And definitely decreased COST...breastmilk is free. Even if you have WIC, formula costs...they no longer supply 100% of a baby's needs.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Well, I breastfed, so of course i"m going to tell you that you should too. BUT it really is a personal decision. It's true that it's best for your baby. PLUS there are studies that show that women who breastfeed have a lower chance of developing breast cancer and other diseases. It's incredibly relaxing, once you get the hang of it.

You need to figure out why you don't really want to breastfeed, and decide from there. Your choice entirely. No one should bully you into your decision, one way or another.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 5:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You should. Its is the best thing for your baby. I have read and I am not 100% sure if this is true or not but I read that it decreases the risk of SIDS (sudden Infant death syndrome) and i know it helps you get back to your pre pregnancy rate.
    Anonymous

• I think you should at least try it. However, if it turns out to not be for you than feed your baby formula. You will do more harm than good breastfeeding when you end up feeling resentful about it.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• That is a personal decision and I think that if you are already thinking you don't want to, that you probably won't. I can tell you this, if you looked at my son and then looked at a breastfed baby, you would not be able to tell how they were fed, even if you looked at their medical records, and that is proof enough for me that giving formula is perfectly fine for your baby! A happy FF momma is better than a frustrated BF momma! As long as you and your babies are happy and healthy, I see no problems. Do research yourself (don't rely on biased cafemommers) and decide what you think is ultimately the best.

And I have never had to buy formula while on WIC.
    Anonymous

• I breastfeed, and I must say it is sooo worth it. When all else fails, my little one comes to me for support. Even when he was in the NICU for 3 days and they tried to calm him with "sweeties," he preferred his momma's milk over sugar water. The down side is that sometimes you're the only one he wants, and if you're not available, there's h*** to pay. :)

The bond he and I have is absolutely wonderful! I highly encourage you to at least try it. If it doesn't work out, don't feel bad, but then you'll never wonder "what if?"
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I did and for me it was the BEST bonding experience ever. But it is really tough at the beginning and can be tiring. If you can get through that you will find it very rewarding. There is sooo much research out there that explains how beneficial breastfeeding is. One of the best things for us was that my son didn't get sick at all until I stopped bf and he is 3 and never had an ear infection. He is definitely healthier than a lot of kids I know. If you truly want the best for your baby breastmilk is more beneficial than formula. Good luck with your decision! :)
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 6:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It is whats best for both mother and child so yes you should breastfeed.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 6:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• IMO I think that nursing your baby is the best thing that you can do for your baby. If you don't really want to nurse then it really won't be a good experience for you and the baby. If you go into it with an open mind and willing to give it a shot you just may enjoy it and the bonding experience that you and your baby will have will be amazing. I hope that you make the best decision for both you and your baby.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010