I have a 4yr. old niece who still drinks the bottle 3+ times a day, how can I voice my opinion without people getting upset with me?

My niece turned 4yrs.old back in Oct.2009 and she still drinks the bottle 3+ times a day. I've tried several things hoping my niece would'nt drink bottles any longer and nothing worked. I purchased several types of sippy cups,special types of cups ect.... and she still wants her bottle. My sister-in-law who is the mom says her daughter drinks it for comfort and she doesn't think it's a big deal & feels that when her daughters ready she'll start asking for cups instead of a bottle! She goes to school M-F for 3hrs. each day and she always tells whoever is picking her up that they have to hide her bottle so her friends or teachers won't see it & think she is a baby. To put the icing on the cake my niece is very tall and looks older than 4 and I feel bad about the situation because I love my niece to death, as well as my sister-in-law, we're all very close and the last thing I want to do is hurt anyones feelings. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You should mention to your sister-in-law that this habit can make her teeth crooked and possibly cause a speech impediment. In the end it's up to your SIL to make the effort and get her daughter off of the bottle. I too feel that bottles and binkies past 1 1/2yo look silly and lack of effort on the parents part to stop this behavior.
    Anonymous

• This is not your child, so you should just let your sister do her job. No I do not agree with the 4 year old still being on the bottle, but you are not the mother.
    Anonymous

• I think you should mind your own business on this one. Worst case scenario, her dentist is going to give her a huge lecture, because they can tell if they're still bottle fed at this point. You gain nothing in this situation by talking to her. There's simply no way around hurting feelings, and quite frankly, this really isn't that big of a deal. Yes, it can cause dental problems, but to be honest, those can be corrected. I think it's a crying shame, too, but you've got a no win situation by trying to talk to her. They already know it's bad if they hide it, you know?
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• The dental problems that the bottle can cause is called "bottle rot" in which the teeth literally rot and have to be removed. This is particularly a problem if she takes a bottle at night and doesn't brush her teeth before going to bed. However, as the other posters state, it's her mothers decision.. Perhaps you could find an article on the risks to share with her then let her make an informed choice...
    Anonymous

• Sorry....but stay out of it. Bootle rot does not happen in all kids, as long as mom is brushing her teeth and she is not going to bed with milk sitting in her mouth then things should be fine.

Mom has the right to raise her DD how she wants, and as much as it bothers you she isn't really doing anything wrong. My oldest kept his bottle almost up until kindergarten, but most of mine get rid of them..on there own around 2 and it is always limited. Most would not agree with this, but they're my kids and I know them better then anyone so I will do what I feel is right. If anyone said anything to me about it, I guarantee I would not be nice.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Be a good aunt and be quiet about this subject ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Why do you feel the need to voice your opinion? It sounds as if your sil already told you how she felt on the issue, which means END OF DISCUSSION.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:33 AM on Jan. 29, 2010