If the word occult actually means knowledge of the paranormal or supernatural, then why is it associated with evil?

Isn't God, angels, etc. also a supernatural idea? Also, how does knowledge of the unknown make someone evil? When I think of evil I think of someone who does harm to others because they have no love in their heart. Many people equate occult with "dark forces", but this isn't true. It's knowledge of the supernatural, paranormal, or unknown. That is the definition of occult.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It seems as if you are making a statement. But to answer your question, for good or for bad...

It is because the word originated during the 1500's and the word it was derived from was occulere which means to hide from view or cover up. At this time in history, it would have been "pagan" beliefs that were the ones being hidden, and thus the word attributed to them.
    AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 6:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Probably because long ago someone associated it with devil worship and the name stuck.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Because the idea was (and still is) that if it's unknown it's evil. Yes, Gods & Angels are considered to be Supernatural but they are considered to be "at arms length." If someone claimed to have knowledge beyond what was in the bible about God, they were considered to be evil because they must either be being mislead or crazy. Look at Joan Of Arc... It's also because people that have a greater understanding of Paranormal or Supernatural beings, powers and such tend not to be mainstream Christian. Which again was (and is) seen as "evil" and even against the law in some places...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I don't think it just refers to the supernatural, because like you said there is a lot of very good supernatural things that God does allow and encourage!!! Christianity is a faith that is supernatural.

Occult means "hidden knowledge." It is forbidden to Christians because God is not revealing it to us, and because through occult practices we are deceived by the evil one.

I don't need to mingle with the occult because if I want to know something I can ask God, who cannot lie. He speaks to me through dreams, the Bible, and through His Holy Spirit who lives inside of me. If He wants me to know the future, He will tell me. Not a fortune teller or a diviner whose info cannot be trusted.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/occult

the definition of occult.. the definition of paranormal: something not normal... the definition of supernatural... above normal.  supernatural is what would be used to help define God.. and since what is supernatural is part of being of the occult, you are correct op. 

Since paranormal and the supernatural are about things we don't have a full understanding of, and can't compare to what is normal.. it by all means is part of the occult.. since God would be considered supernatural.. he would by all means be apart of the occult as well.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• however, really occult wasn't part of the original text.. it originally refers to the word poisoner... which was later changed to witch and some of the wording was changed... basically it meant people that would lead you away from God.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Because god didn't like the competition for the devotion of his slaves. There is a Jewish legend (from the Kabballah I think) that says that when the "sons of god" came down to fornicate with the daughters of earth they taught them powerful magick and occult lore. They also say that when Solomon was given the wisdom he asked god for magical arts were also given to him and that he built the temple with the help of spirits. I have the pentacle of Solomon in my collection. It is an amulet to protect from dark entities and demons and to give you control over them.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Occult doesn't mean "hidden knowledge" but simply "hidden". In the medical field we do OCCULT blood tests on stool samples to make sure the person isn't bleeding in the bowels.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2010