Online Colleges- Does it matter which one?

I want to take online classes through an accredited College to complete my Bachelor Degree(I currently have my AA Degree). Can any online college help me with this or should I look out for bad ones?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in

• I would look out for bad ones and diploma mills too. Some are major scams and can get you in trouble for fraud. I am attending online through the university of North Texas. It is a real state school that offers online degrees for general studies.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Only go with State schools who have online programs...the others like Western International, American Online U and Kaplan don't hold as much weight when it comes time to get a job... Northern Arizona University has some really good programs all online.
    mommalaa

Answer by mommalaa at 2:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms- I would go with the online version of a local University. If you have you AA- the Community College probably will not have the classes you need. I would stay away from University of Phoenix, Jones International, Kaplan and the like. We also do not hire from those schools.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Check out schools that just have online programs. I started out at UMUC but didn't like it and now I am at Liberty University and love it. Just make sure it is regionally accredited (regional accreditation is harder to get than national).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Check the Dept of Education for credible schools. http://www2.ed.gov/students/prep/college/diplomamills/index.html
    And yes there is a difference, cost, flexibility, assignment submission timeframe, required hours online, determining whether books and materials are included in the cost. There may be a number of schools online, but you have to find the one that best suits you needs and career choice.
    Sdaniels77

Answer by Sdaniels77 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 17, 2010