Content warning! What is your reaction to your toddler/preschooler 'touching' himself?

We all know how curious kids can be.
I do not personally view it as wrong/bad and I do not make a big deal out of it.
I told him that we don't touch ourselves in front of others. (It hasn't been a constant thing for us, just like once every few months while he is in the bathtub or getting dressed.)
What has been your experience with this?
What do you tell your toddler/preschooler if you see this behavior?
Do you think it is bad or innocent?

_Kitty_kat_

Asked by _Kitty_kat_ at 6:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Too funny older, my guy used to try and get his down too as a toddler. It's pretty hard not to laugh as you explain that fiddling with it isn't going to make it go down any faster!

Now I just tell him it's something he does in private. Still working on the idea that under the bubbles in the bath while I'm sitting next to the tub isn't exactly private. He thinks that it's private because I can't see it which is pretty logical but hardly the point.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It's not a bad thing. It's a natural thing to do at that age. They will grow out of it.
    Anonymous

• Well, I have two little boys and have been told it's a boy thing, but I think girls do it too. It's normal and you aren't supposed to make them feel bad or shameful for it. I told my son that it is private and just for him. I said nobody wants to see him do that so please do it away from my eyes. He complies with that.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Perfectly natural. You handled it the right way. With most kids, naughty or bad behavior is taboo and then might make it more desirable. Just make it clear that it is a private thing and should not be done in public.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• mine does the same things. Any tiime its in the open he is touching it and pulling on it, I dont know my self how to fix it. I ask his dr and she said he is just curious and its his so let him do it, He would grow out of it,., So i guess its just a waiting game
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 6:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• DS is now 16 yo, but when he started enjoying that attached toy I simple told him, it's his and he can touch it when ever he wanted in his bedroom or the bathroom with the door closed. The out growing does happen, but only for a couple of years LOL!
    Anonymous

• It is normal. I just tell them that that is something we do in our room in privacy.
    Anonymous

• My son as well does it...but has never done it in public. He's very personal about it and only does it in the bathtub or when he gets the chance to run around naked and hide lol. I giggle at the fact but for the most part I just let him do his thing since he is so young and he only knows that its attached to him and he's curious...he knows not what he is doing or what he could do. They are still babies at this age with those things :) lol
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Normal and I hear it about girls too. Of course they wanna touch that area. Especially a penis, my gosh, it hangs there asking to be played with! Mine only do it when naked or getting into the bath. We never had an issue at preschool or school. I did explain it's something normal but we don't do it in public but they can check themselves out at home or in their room/bathroom.
    Anonymous

• I tell them to do it in private. That's all. My youngest is slowly getting over her fascination with her vulva. Haha.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 6:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010