is it normal here in america for a father not spending time with his son?

where im from (Europe) family's are very united. So my husband not spending time with his son is very sad to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• if that isnt normal or acceptable in your life then you shouldn't put up with it. That might be normal to someone else though. My husband spends time with our son, sometimes things allow less time to be spent but for the most part he is a supportive and loving daddy and is there when he is needed which is what counts in the end.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Sadly it does happen alot. My hubby's Dad was like that and said and is not like he father in any way. I have lots of friends where there hubby's are like that. When I think about it. It is pretty much all expect one. That is sad.
    Anonymous

• I believe it to be selfishness and disconnect from the family that causes this to happen. Unfortunately, yes it does happen quite often in this country.
    Anonymous

• I wont say its normal, I think its an individual thing. My husband spends as much time as he can with our children.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I get to stay home, but sadly my DH has to work. That means he is gone almost 11 hrs/ 5 days a week. He needs to relax (and deserves to) so, there are days he spends little time with any of the kids, but he does play with them, go to school functions WHEN he can.
    What do you think is normal? Don't let country boundaries determine your home life. You might need to make preparations to get the 2 together more. You might need to arrange the opportunities and activities, but maybe after time your Dh will just slip into it like routine.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 6:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• okay thank you ladies.I glad to get this imformation. And yes I understand the father coming home and tired from work. But still finds time to be with kids. Mine just lets him do what he wants or lets me tend to him but my son is at an age where he needs to do things with his dad. because mom(me) doesn't play any rough guy games.lol. So then I guess I will have to arrange somethings for dad and son to do, then. again thanks for your input ladies. (moms)
    Anonymous

• yea sometimes you have to remind the dads how important they are to their childs development. I told my hub many times that my son worships him and he better take advantage of it, because trust me, it doesn't last long. Like now when my son is 16 and both his dad and I have magicly become DUMB lol. But in all honesty, my hub and son do spend quite a bit of time together, they sit in the hot tub talking science or whatever. Hub also does alot with my daughter as well. It's not natural for all men, sometimes they need to be a little "nudged" into it, and if nudging doesn't work, a rolling pin upside the head will lol. best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My husband was raised a good ole country boy and he spends tons of time with our boys. One of the reasons I fell in love with him was how he treated his nieces and nephews very doting and spends as much time with them as he can. We married had our children and had to fight to hold our babies.lol He is very involved woud not be with a man who wasn't. We discussed children and how we would raise them before we even married would save so many a lot of grief if they would do that. My father was very involved with my siblings and with me. My brothers are all great dads one is a single father after his wife passed away the kids are doing great because he is wonderful. If you set the bar high and don't settle for less you will find a good man who is a great husband and father.
    Anonymous

• yes it's normal. That's not good but it's normal. So many men think time with kids is Women's Work.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Many men leave the child rearing up to the women. My Dh can be like this sometimes, but he loves the kids and will help me out if I am specific about what I want him to do for them. He is a very sweet and loving father. The kids just adore him. If this hurts you , then you need to talk to him about it. Be very specific about what you would like him to do with the children. All men are different. Some are very involved and others are not.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2010