What is the oldest church in the United States?

what about the world?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are you asking physical building, or religious belief system
    AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 6:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• www.google.com
    Anonymous

• Do you mean originating in the US or brought from else where? I am pretty sure the natives had religious beliefs. Or do you mean first Anglo religion?
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 6:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I think the first religion here was Native American. Most of the pilgrims were Protestants.

In my opinion (according the the Bible) the first world religion was the worship of YHWH that began with Adam and Eve : ) and that was more of a relationship than a religion, because they knew Him and walked with Him.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• www.google.com

oh no! No WAY google.com was the first church!! I wonder if the guys at the search engine place know this!!!
    Anonymous

• 3:53 LOL

I would imagine the oldest church were be located somewhere in the 13 colony states.
    Yup Smithfield Virginia is said to be the oldest one. c 1632 ( or 1682) There is one in Santa Fe N M that is also said to be the oldest church. c 1610
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Yeah I was thinking Philidelphia, the first city of America?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• my money's on a Catholic church in St. Augustine, Florida. its the oldest (European) town in America. it was built about 100 years before Jamestown was settled.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• There is an old ruined church outside of Williamsburg that is said to be the oldest. But it is ruined to bits. It's 1600s.

The problem is a lot of these churches were built in coast areas and were destroyed by the weather. So the longest standing church that has been used as a church and never converted to something else or shut down due to war or weather... hhmmmm...
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2010