Should birth control be passed out in high schools?

What about middle school? why/why not?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, I think that it is hard to talk to your parents about getting on birthcontrol! Teens dont want to talk to their parents about things like that, I know in my household it was a big secret! My partner and I had talked about going on birthcontrol and thought it was a good idea but my mom did not think so! I dont think it was her choice, I was trying to be responsible, parents seem to think if their child is on bc that they will just go out and have sex, well nes flash they will do it anyways!
    Anonymous

• While I believe all teens should be on some form of BC, No it is NOT the schools place to do it. It is the parents and teens place to discuss and decide what is best.
    Anonymous

• You know, i'm on the fence with this one. First off I dont' know that it would make a difference condoms are VERY easy to buy and access, they are sold everywhere, and they aren't expensive, going on the pill is also easy and affordable through planned parenthood. I honestly think that teenage pregnancy is on the rise because it's become a status symbol. Not ALL of them of course, but it really is. Some girls get so much attention when they are pregnant, attention they don't get at home. The problem is way deeper than just the BC vs. Abstience debates
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• No. There is more to birth control than just preventing pregnancy. Some of the birth control types have serious side affects that are not for all people. Schools are not going to adequately assess each persons health needs and provide the best form of birth control for each student. It's a personal health matter and should be managed within the family and by trained professionals.
    Anonymous

• Not birthcontrol but condoms.

I bet you are watching The Pregnancy pack. I like where she says "What would you rather have two mins of discomfort to 9 months of discomfort" I hope I said that right.
    Anonymous

• This is a tough one, if we are talking about a high school with a clinic in it then I think it would be ok, I also think handing out condoms is also ok.

While ideally we would hope that our children would come to us the reality is a lot of kids don't and then there are kids who can't (or at least feel this way) go thier parents.

I firmly believe that these options should be available to kids, is school the right place for it, I am not so sure, but at least if my kids can't/won't come to me then I know they know thier is an alternative. I am lucky cause so far they do but not all kids/parent's have this kinda realtionship.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Nope. I really don't think that any under age child should get medical treatment of any kind without the parents knowledge and bc IS medical treatment.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• i dont think it should be "passed out" in high school or middle school. i do believe that birth control should be availaible to kids, but there are places to get it other than at school. i know this because i was able to get birth control without going through my mother or my school.
    Anonymous