What would you do?

We have a 13 1/2 year old family collie. She just started having unexplainable seizures randomly, has hip problems, has had nose bleeds, and has been losing weight. Her vet can't find anything wrong with her. We are torn about deciding to put her to sleep or not. I feel that she's suffering but I just have a hard time letting go and feel bad that we will be the ones to end her life. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pets

• I agree with the pp, but I would also recommend getting her in to a different vet before you make any other decision, if only for your peace of mind. Most of what you're describing is likely age related, and any animal that reaches a certain age is going to experience some or all of the age related problems, just like humans.

And, if it is that time, you'll know that you've done the very best for her ~ and saw things through to the end. It's hard, but it's an act of love and eventually you can find peace with that. I've said goodbye to many of ours over the years, and generally they were the ones that 'told' me it was time. Love on her now, give her some of those usually forbidden treats, and listen to what your furbaby is telling you. ((hugs))
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• That is one of the worse decions to make as a pet owner. I had to make that choice with a 14 month old german shepherd. It was heartbreaking, but I swear the look in his eyes were BEGGING me to end his suffering. Also I didn't want to wake up one morning to find him dead. I would almost say to put your "Furbaby" to rest sweets. My heart is breaking for you!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• if you can not answer YES to theese questions, it is time to put her to sleep... Hard as that may be. I had to put my fur baby down on dec 23. and my 1st child (couldn't even call her a fur baby- she was so much more) down on jan 28 of last year.

Can she run, jump, and climb stairs with ease, and without discomfort?

Does she eat like she once did, excitedly, happy about her food and maintaining a healthy weight?

Does she spend time playing with the kids, and being active?

Could she go for a 3 mile walk?

I know how hard it is, and when we were debating what to do with "Momma Shay" those were the questions the vet asked... It's going to have to be your call, but when they go it is peaceful, and it is over. I do not want to suffer, and I would NEVER let that happen to someone I love.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Have you had her tested for heartworms? Anyway, she has lived a good long life for a dog. I can't make this judgement call for you, but I agree with PP. If you can answer those questions, then that will give you the answer.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It's a hard call but when an animal starts having seizures so late in life there is an underlining cause (possibly a brain tumor). The nose bleeds have me concerned about her blood pressure or even a nasal tumor. My 15 year old cat started having nose bleeds and it turned out to be a nasal tumor. It sounds like there are several things going on and if you feel that she is suffering then I don't think it would be the wrong decision for you to make. I can't tell you that to do this or not because i don't your dog but if this was my dog i probably would. THough it would be a very hard thing to do. I am so sorry
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• ((HUGS))- it's so hard to have to make the decision. For me it came down to quality of life... was the animal still having good quality of life? Was he/she still able to enjoy their daily lives? If yes, I was willing to keep on caring for them until nature took it's course. If not, however, I had to make the really hard decision to help them pass on peacefully. I know it's hard... your dog is lucky to have someone who cares so much for her wellbeing!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would take her to a different vet. There is medication to control seizures, but, they would have to find out what's causing them. Sometimes older dogs have trouble chewing, so maybe a softer dog food would be easier for her to eat. Our lab mix is 15 years old, and I dread the day she will have to be put to sleep. GOOD LUCK.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2010